· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Question Old School Vs New School Aquarium Keep UP.

0 Not allowed!
    Im writting this thread because it has become a serious question now that i have cam across two old school fish keepers meaning they got into the hobby 20+ years ago and knowing they did things different back then then now im confused to what to stick with. This thread is about water changes the two people i talked to both keep over stocked african cichlid tanks and claim they only do water changes once a month and dont worry about it that much could someone explain this ? I was told to do weekly water changes to keep nitrates from reaching harmful levels and to replinish the nutrients that old water uses and new water brings to help aid the health and growth rate of the fish and help them thrive ? Did the hobby become more humane down the line or is it necessary for weekly water changes ? Dude told me that if you upkeep you filters often water changes are not as important as you would think. Everone please chime in with what you think on the subject and why thanks. If i can cut down on my 25g water changes twice a week i would gladly do it oh and i know it doesnt hurt to do them so frequently.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would be following this thread as I am curious to the reasoning behind their trend of thought also. If I had to guess I would think it would be due to the undeveloped knowledge of the hobby, back then, and the effects high dosages of nitrates play.

That being said, fish keeping was a different game two decades ago than what it is today and the fish that are being kept and farm breed are a prime example of that. With technology continuously evolving and methods being fine tuned, who knows what this hobby might be like in 20 years, or even 5.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Old timer fish keeping, lol

I've been keeping aquariums since around 1976. I used to have 20 different tanks in my bed room, from killifish to piranhas.
    Started my first saltwater tank in the early '80's.

I totally agree with the weekly water changes. Using Prime helped keep my stock going. I do remember not using any de-chlor product back in the day with no consequence, but the tap water ain't the same today.
    I've really learned alot about how to set-up and keep a reef tank from this site and I must say, It's been a real help with little loss.
    Yes the old timers were cool but things have changed with the in-coming water over the years.
    Keep with the times.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I, too, will follow with interest and hope that both old school members and new school chime in.
    I'll give an example of old school. The owner of my LFS is a long time hobbiest. He has a 125 gallon tank filled with rainbows (turquois, boseman etc) congos, clown loaches, plecos and geophagus on display in his store. Huge numbers of stock. All rock work, and no live plants. I asked him what it takes to keep that tank clean. He changes 25% of the water once a month and has NEVER vacuumed the tank. He says it makes for a more natural habitat. I asked about nitrates and weren't they a problem. He says he never worries about nitrates unless they get over 80ppm. He is also a big believer in UGFs.
    I have to tell you this is a stunning tank and the fish are active and look healthy - and he's kept it this way for years. But my jaw nearly hit the floor when he told me what his upkeep schedule is and that he's never vacuumed it.
    So --- discuss...
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Untill about 7 years ago I only did a monthly 30% water change myself. Than I started reading newer articles that sugested the weekly changes, so I started doing it that way. I have not noticed much difference but I've never kept fish in the last 25 years or so that produce a large bio-load.

Now back in the 70's I hardly ever changed the water because the old Innes book suggested that aged water was the best. Just siphon your water (sucking the debris out of the substate) through cheese cloth and put it back in the tank. Once the 80's came the two new Ladies that opened a LFS suggested the monthly water change so I started going that way.

We have come a long way.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Old school,..... new school,...... call it waht you want. IMO it really doesn't matter. In my 17+ years of keeping tanks the most improtant thing that I have learn is to keep your water parameters in line for long term success.

If than means large weekly water changes then do it. If that means large water changes 4 times a week, then do it. if than means a large water change every second week then so be it. figure out what works for your tank and stick to it. Every tank is different. Rules of thumb are only meant to be a starting point to help you figure out what is good for your tank

I perfer over doing it with my water changes. I can get away with 50% water changes every two week, but I don't linke waiting that long. I like doing 75% weekly water changes to play it very safe. I am attached to my fish and i want to provide the best possible conditions that I can for them.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im still talking to one of the guys asking him questions and he say his nitrates are at zero because he well over filters his tanks. To my knowledge the only tanks that are suppose to have zero nitates are discuss tanks because you basically have to do full tank water chabges and have no substate in them and heavy planted tanks. He tells me that i never let my water condition with weekly water changes and thats what may be causing high nitrates. I currently do two 25g water changes a week so every 3 to 4 days and the morning after i have no ammonia spikes or anything so im not sure what he claims by that.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I, too, will follow with interest and hope that both old school members and new school chime in.
    I'll give an example of old school. The owner of my LFS is a long time hobbiest. He has a 125 gallon tank filled with rainbows (turquois, boseman etc) congos, clown loaches, plecos and geophagus on display in his store. Huge numbers of stock. All rock work, and no live plants. I asked him what it takes to keep that tank clean. He changes 25% of the water once a month and has NEVER vacuumed the tank. He says it makes for a more natural habitat. I asked about nitrates and weren't they a problem. He says he never worries about nitrates unless they get over 80ppm. He is also a big believer in UGFs.
    I have to tell you this is a stunning tank and the fish are active and look healthy - and he's kept it this way for years. But my jaw nearly hit the floor when he told me what his upkeep schedule is and that he's never vacuumed it.
    So --- discuss...
    That's similar to what my schedule has become, only I change 80% of the water. I used to do weekly changes, but it's been monthly for a while now. I never vacuum the sand. I run 2 canisters on each tank - I guess they get everything because I don't ever see any waste. I clean my filters twice a year (June/December). I don't worry enough about nitrates to test for them, but on the rare occurrence that someone wants to know and I feel like it - prior to the water change they are 40-50. Only live plant is the java moss and some BBA.

Ill post a video tonight, once the glares disappear.

I know sometimes it can seem like an aquarium ought to implode because of the way it's kept, but there's just more than one way to do it. That doesn't mean that each way is best for every situation, but often enough there's more than one way to accomplish the same goal. Because of how strongly the "right" way (large weekly water changes, under 20 nitrates) is advocated on forums, I wonder how many choose to keep quiet about such things. I'm not saying that large weekly water changes/under 20 nitrates isn't the best, because it probably is. I'm just saying that that doesn't make every other way bad. It's not so black and white. In fact, it's mostly all grey.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    So --- discuss...

Are you sure this tank is in Iowa??? My LFS has almost the same stocking (all adult fish) in a 125, with an UGF and once a month water changes. Fish look great. All their tanks have UGFs and are on a monthly schedule for water changes and vacuuming. They tried very hard to get me to buy an UGF for my 75 gal. Their tanks have been up and running with the same filters and water change schedule for 24 yrs. They did not understand why I bought 2 AC110s for a 75 gal and was going to do 30% PWCs weekly. They are definitely old school. They recommended once a month 10% water changes - too many changes will stress the fish.

Now I have to say, occasionally when I go there, they have notes on a tank or 2 that it is being treated for ick. I am cautious about buying fish there. Don't know if it's the poor maintenance schedule or if the fish came that way.

I clean each of my filters every 2 weeks - they are definitely doing a good job. I can't imagine what they would look like after a month - YUCK!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Are you sure this tank is in Iowa??? My LFS has almost the same stocking (all adult fish) in a 125, with an UGF and once a month water changes. Fish look great. All their tanks have UGFs and are on a monthly schedule for water changes and vacuuming. They tried very hard to get me to buy an UGF for my 75 gal. Their tanks have been up and running with the same filters and water change schedule for 24 yrs. They did not understand why I bought 2 AC110s for a 75 gal and was going to do 30% PWCs weekly. They are definitely old school. They recommended once a month 10% water changes - too many changes will stress the fish.
    Wow. Maybe they are related? My LFS guy just sort of smiles when I come in. he knows I'm pretty fussy with my tanks and he gets a big kick out of it.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492