· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default ### fish ID help please ### rainbows?

0 Not allowed!
    I went to a small LFS yesterday and found these guys . They were marked "assorted rainbows" it is hard to tell from the pics but the stripes on them are a blue-green color. I bought 9 of them ...they were in with what I recognize as rainbows of which I bought 5. The rainbows are schooling with them . My main reason for wanting the ID is for info on size and care.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    . Scott.

0 Not allowed!
    It's hard for me to tell from the pic, but it looks more like a zebra danios to me. I'm not too sure about that tho, just a guess on my part

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/zebradanio.php
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think so ....hopefully I can borrow a better camera and post some better pics....then I have to figure out how to make them sit still for a pic....lol
    . Scott.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like the danios have 4-6 stripes my new fish only have 2.....and body shape is a bit different .... but thank you for the input....
    . Scott.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    They look like giant danios, scientific name, devario aequipinnatus.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ding ding ding .....we have a winner .....lol

That's the ones I have .....

Thanks a million
    . Scott.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yup. Giant Danios.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    You're welcome, glad I could help.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Default ### fish ID help please ### rainbows?

0 Not allowed!
    Rainbows have a very high schooling drive, and will school with other species of rainbows, as well as other fish that are similar to them, like giant danios. Each should still have a group of their own, though. In my experience keeping a mixed school of rainbows, tank size plays a huge role in schooling behavior. When I had them in the 90, the different species of rainbows schooled together much more frequently than they do in the 125. In the larger tank, they break off into their conspecific groups most of the time, but still all come together from time to time. In my experience, this is the case with all multi species schooling - the larger the tank, the less likely it is to occur. Whether they really are schooling, or of it just appears that way because of the lack of space, i don't know. That's not to say one should purposely keep fish in a small tank so that they will school together - that would be selfish. My guess is that it is a stress response to being kept in too small of a tank.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    Why did they have danio's in an "assorted rainbow" tank? Rainbows are prolific swimmers so I would stay away from them unless you have a long tank and not buy fish unless you know what they are. I had them in a 55 gallon and it wasn't long enough for these active guys. I can't even venture a guess as to whether these are giant danio's or not. Many of the rainbows are hard to tell until they get a bit older and color up but many have the same shape as giant danio's. You might be in for a surprise yet.

Giant danio's are also kinda nuts. Hope you have a big tank.