· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Bloodworms in filter?

0 Not allowed!
    Tried to vary out the diet and add bloodworms once or twice a week. (frozen and thawed in cup of tank water then tossed in)

It was time to do filter maintenance and in the bottom tray of my 306 was a dozen or so bloodworms throughout that foam.

Tried to pick a few out and throw toss them, but finally gave up trusting my gut that it can't be horrible having them in there.

Am I correct/wrong? Anyone seen this or know what's up?

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty sure they act the same as any other fish food. They decompose and cause ammonia spikes. Your issue is one of the main reasons I stopped feeding my apistos frozen bloodworms. A lot of them got sucked into the filters or settled into the gravel. They're a pain to clean.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    true, but they were alive and wiggling around. lol

so not decomposing just yet.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    You said frozen and thawed in a cup?? Aren't frozen bloodworms already dead? O.o

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They should...

But in my google searches some people have had the luck that they come back to life-or the freezing process just "hibernates them"

and i'm one of those people now.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Yeesh.. Uhm aren't blooworms simply midge larvae? If they don't die they'll simply grow and leave the water as adult midges.. If they don't harm your fish and such I don't see the problem with leaving them.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In my pond filter, they appeared without me even feeding bloodworms. They haven't been a problem for me and I have even fed them to my fish. They shouldn't be a problem.

0 Not allowed!
    Next time you clean the filter you could just grab them and drop them back in the tank. They aren't harmful though. In an indoor environment the only problem you will eventually have is insects buzzing around in your house when the worms metamorphose.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I tried grabbing a few but they were really hard to catch.

I hope they don't metamorphose-they are in a sealed canister filter, so the only way out is to go through the tank and then by then my fish will snack on them.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you're worried about that you could just run the foam through very hot water. I know this would kill off any BB but with the other layers it shouldn't cause a problem and it would kill the worms.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty