· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Getting frustrated finding a hood

0 Not allowed!
    So I got this 55 gallon tank from a friend. The tank is like 35 years old and has been empty for like 20. Anyway, I've bought and returned like 4 hoods cause they aren't big enough. The inside of my frame is like 46 7/8" and 11.5". I have bought the 24 x 12 hoods and they literally all fall in the water. I got a glass hood today that was literally 11" wide and was labeled as a 24 x 12. also, all of these hoods are 23" long, which leaves a lovely 2" crack in the middle. Is this normal? I finally found a hood that sort of stays put at walmart of all places, but it still has the 2" crack. Is there such a thing as a frame that goes over the tank frame to make the hood holders wider? I'm completely lost.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm wondering if you souldn't have a hood custom made. A decent carpenter should be able to knock something together. Alternatively, get a condensation cover and suspend some lighting.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I built my own wood canopy as I couldn't use a hood (I have cats) - see my aquarium journal. It was easy and you can custom fit it to your tanks needs and size. There are videos on youtube about building one yourself. If you build one (or have it built) be sure to get the glass tops to prevent evaporation.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    I have no hoods on any of my tanks. As long as you don't have jumpers, like rainbowfish, it should be fine. Depending on what you plan to keep, obviously. Have you filled that tank up and let it sit for a few days? That's a long time for silicone to dry out. It's fill it up outside and give it several days to see if it leaks. Sit it on the cement or on a piece of cardboard so you can see if it leaks.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Might have to go the custom route. Was hoping to find at least a frame for the tank. I've had water for two days and no leaks. I'm getting saltwater spray in the air from my powerhead so i need something.

0 Not allowed!
    You should not be getting SW spray in the air from a power head. Try pointing the power downward a little more to stop the spraying. You only need water agitation at the water's surface to keep good O2 levels in the water. I would try that first before spending any money on a custom hood

Most of my marine tanks have been open top in the past with no spray from power heads at all
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe spray isn't the right term. The bubbles from the power head are creating a fine might right above the water surface, its enough to soak the current hood. I adjusted so its pointing down now. Less mist but still present.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Try placing the powerhead a little lower in the tank and remove the airline.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, i just read someplace else that the airline isn't needed and you actually push more water with it out. I was assuming that the rock and stuff needed the extra oxygen that the airline brought into the tank. But I'm glad it doesn't because my tank is much quieter now and I can use a full length LED strip over the tank for light without it getting soaked. I'm going to forgoe the cover for now so long as my cats don't try to jump in. I'm guessing once is all it would take and they would stay away from it, but I'd rather not see it happen.

0 Not allowed!
    If worse comes to worse and the cats become a pest to the tank, you could cut a piece of egg crate to fit the top........perhaps?