· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Exclamation Stocking level ok?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys, back again.

I have my tank all set up now (it's planted now too!) and I'm just wondering how im doing for stocking levels and if there's any room for more fish..

Tank is a 30G, 32"x12"x18"

Here's the list.
    3x Golden Zebra Danio
    2x Leopard Danio
    1x Clown Pleco
    5x Amano Shrimp
    3x Nerite Snail (tire track)
    5x Zodiac/Batik Loaches
    3x Pearl Gouramis

It does seem like a lot but the Batik's won't grow more than 2.5-3" and I do have the option of trading in the fish if they really will get troublesome..

And also, I'm looking for a good plant that'll take over the gravel given time, something very short maybe a grass or dwarf tears? Do they do well in gravel? I currently have some corkscrew vals but I have my doubts about them longterm because they keep losing leaves every day.. Though they dont seem to be thinning out too much!

Thank you!

0 Not allowed!
    The biggest issue I see is with the gourami's They are very aggressive fish. If you combo is 1 male to 2 female ratio it may work. The danio's should get along with each other. Hopefully they will school together. Both breed of Danio's require 6 or more in a group.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The Gouramis are supposedly 1 male 2 female but they're still juveniles so it's not easy to tell.. Not hard to trade in if they do turn out to be aggressive to each other.
    Danio's have already schooled together, there were previously 8 danios however I lost a few to some bad levels.

0 Not allowed!
    You can use this as a guide for stocking. Also, how much filtration you have will dictate your stocking levels due to the fishes bio-load. http://aqadvisor.com/

0 Not allowed!
    Even with optimal filtration this stock is still bad

0 Not allowed!
    I actually don't see a lot wrong with it other than more bottom feeders than you need for that length tank. Your only actual swimmers are the danio's and gourami's, right? Seems to me you could have more swimmers in there. I think the loaches will probably eat your shrimp. If you like danio's, you should have gotten more of them and all the same species. The leopards have long fins that might be shredded by the zebra's if they are anything like the danio's I had at one time. (I have to admit I am not a danio lover at all. Too much tearing around and constant chasing to suit my taste in fish.)

Bottom feeders should be purchased last and well after the tank has cycled. All pleco's appreciate some driftwood and it's a great source of algae for them.

Yes, you can have another school of fish if you wish. A group of cherry barbs would work (males are bright red and easy to see the difference in sexes.) Or a different type of tetra.....a school of one kind and perhaps a dozen of them.

A pair of gourami's would have worked out better but if you end up with a pair, the other may have to be moved out but they are somewhat milder in temperament that other gourami's. Time will tell.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-04-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Default Stocking level ok?

0 Not allowed!
    I also don't see a lot wrong with the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by rodm81 View Post
    The biggest issue I see is with the gourami's They are very aggressive fish. If you combo is 1 male to 2 female ratio it may work. The danio's should get along with each other. Hopefully they will school together. Both breed of Danio's require 6 or more in a group.
    Pearl gouramis are not very aggressive. They are quite passive, and enjoy the company of their own kind. Not all gouramis are aggressive, just as not all cichlids are aggressive. You cannot just lump them all together like that.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    Loaches, generally a social animal. Danios, definitely a social animal both in minimum numbers. A clown pleco is usually a panaqolus of some kind. They like it warmer, far less flow and probably not at all comfortable with the rowdy behaviour of the rest. Gourami as well prefer far less flow.

Default Stocking level ok?

0 Not allowed!
    There is often a gap between theory and practice, and keeping fish is no exception.

My 6 pearl gouramis do well in the "high" flow tanks they've lived in. Of course what one calls high another calls normal.

A deficiency in school sizes doesn't make the stocking bad. It just needs a little work.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I think most everything has been addressed but I dont know the size of the clown loach. Being they get around a foot, its enevitable that they leave the tank. Also something to consider is that loaches too are schooling. I would rehome the clown loach and be happy with the smaller species and then up your schools of each fish to 10 if they really are your ideal fish.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's