· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Best stock for a 55 gallon tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello! I am new to this hobby and I am looking for some advice/opinions on stocking my 55 gallon freshwater tank. I am basically torn between to "schools" of thought:

Option 1 - Lower Quanitity, Larger Fish of different types:
    For me, this would look something like 2 Angelfish, 2 Discus fish, 1 Clown Loache, 2 Bolivian Rams, and 1 Pleco

Option 2 - High Quantity of the same fish:
    So basically this would consist of a large quantity of a single fish such as African Cichlids. The uniformity of a tank like this is aesthetically attractive, but I feel as though you lose some of the "wow" factor in having larger, more vibrant fish. It is also a bit harder to keep track of each individual fish (i.e. for naming purposes, which my wife loves to do!)

I realize it all comes down to personal preference but I am really torn between these two, and although I am leaning towards option #1, I wanted to get some other opinions :)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tychondrias View Post

Option 1 - Lower Quanitity, Larger Fish of different types:
    For me, this would look something like 2 Angelfish, 2 Discus fish, 1 Clown Loache, 2 Bolivian Rams, and 1 Pleco This won't work for a number of reasons.
    Discus are social fish that prefer groups to keep stress lower as well as pristine water conditions and HIGH temps. Neither the temps or the pristine water is conducive to having a pleco [Most of the ones you will be considering anyway].

Clown loaches are also VERY social fish [Again groups required] and get far FAR too large for a 55g.

Even two angels can be risky in a 55g unless mated or the tank has lots of cover.

The good news is the rams will likely work depending on what else you pick, The bad news is that you will need to rethink and research some other stocking idea because the list above is not going to fly at all.

Option 2 - High Quantity of the same fish:
    So basically this would consist of a large quantity of a single fish such as African Cichlids. The uniformity of a tank like this is aesthetically attractive, but I feel as though you lose some of the "wow" factor in having larger, more vibrant fish. It is also a bit harder to keep track of each individual fish (i.e. for naming purposes, which my wife loves to do!)

I realize it all comes down to personal preference but I am really torn between these two, and although I am leaning towards option #1, I wanted to get some other opinions :)
    Depending on the specific Africans you get you wouldn't have all THAT many fish.

In fact, Considering the differences between the stock types you are considering I have to ask if you happen to have very hard or very soft water?
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 05-03-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dang, thanks for catching that before I made some major mistakes!

I have moderately hard water, which I'm guessing plays a factor? What if I did a tank entirely of Discus fish? I suppose I could have 6-8 ish in a 55g?

0 Not allowed!
    I don't keep discus but I am pretty sure you would need a bigger tank for that many adults and if you lower their numbers much under six you get aggression issues. Add to that that they require frequent and large WC [50% or so multiple times a week is not uncommon at all for discus].

Prob not the best route to take with a 55 IMO.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 05-04-2013 at 05:36 AM.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok noted :)

Eluding to my first question, do you personally prefer a large school of the same, smaller fish or a variety of larger, more vibrant fish? I guess that's a pretty open ended question :P

0 Not allowed!
    Very open

I like both, I have oscars and I have schools [Not together obviously]. The issue you have is that a 55 isn't really big enough for 'big fish' much less groups of them but then again the definition of 'big fish' is very subjective you know.

My Oscars have a LOT of personality but a 55 isn't big enough for an adult oscar and large populations of smaller fish can be really beautiful [Especially in planted tanks]. Having said that you still have lots of options with a 55.

What interests you AND is available to you is the real question.

0 Not allowed!
    Have a look at rainbowfish, especially boeseman's.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok great! Thank you both for the advice :) I'm just getting some ideas. I have a community tank right now, featuring tetras, guppies, molly's, etc. but I was hoping to do something a bit more uniform and/or exotic. I will definitely take a look at the rainbowfish!