· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Salvini tank unexpected surprise

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 50g breeder with 5 Salvini cichlids. I rescued these fish when they were 1.5" from an African cichlid tank at the LFS at least six months ago. maybe eight. They were getting pretty beat up in there but a little TLC took care of the nipped fins and tails. As sals are very aggressive toward each other, I knew I could not keep them together long term. I planned on growing them out and selecting the best one or pair(if one formed) and rehoming the rest.

I have been out of state working for the last few weeks. Needless to say I was worried what was going on with my tanks while I was gone. I got home late last night and immediately checked on them. To my dismay, one of the Salvinis was laying dead on the bottom of the tank. I quickly got it out and did a huge water change. After that I tested and levels were good, so I did waterchanges on the other tanks and went to bed.

This morning when I was looking at the tank, I noticed that one of the Sals was chasing and picking on two of the others. I figured the time had finally come to make my choice and move the others. As I was contemplating my options as to where to move them, I glanced over at the tank and noticed a big swarm of fry. WOHOO!

AT that point I knew I had to do something quick. I netted out the two that were getting beat up, which involved tearing the whole tank apart, removing all the decor and spending 15 frustrating minutes chasing them around with two nets. Finally I got them and placed them in the 90g temporarily. Luckily I got the correct two out. After replacing all the decor I am watching the pair in the 50g guarding the 30-50 remaining fry. They are already free swimming and wandering around the tank. I figure they must have spawned soon after I left on my trip. Now the only thing in that tank are the Salvini pair, their fry, two BN plecos and a clown pleco. The sals do not bother with the plecos at all.

Hopefully soon I will be able to get some pictures.

KF

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Nice, don't you love when things like that happen lol

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats Kingfisher

I hope you can post some pics today
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Cool To that I can only say ---> Congratulations Cliff!

0 Not allowed!
    WHOO HOO!!
    Lets see.. I think the math works out good :-D

5 sals turns out to equal one pair minus 1 [carry the 2] = FRY

Also, Dibs on upping my solo bid to a pair to go in my Oscar tank!
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Congrats Kingfisher

I hope you can post some pics today
    Probably not today but hopefully within the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Goes to 11! View Post
    WHOO HOO!!
    Lets see.. I think the math works out good :-D

5 sals turns out to equal one pair minus 1 [carry the 2] = FRY

Also, Dibs on upping my solo bid to a pair to go in my Oscar tank!
    You can have both the remaining non paired ones if you want. They are still pretty small though.

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Congratulations Cli... umm wait, Kingfisher yeah, Congratulations Kingfisher!
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats KingCliffer...um ...Fisher
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
    You can have both the remaining non paired ones if you want. They are still pretty small though.
    mrburns_excellent1.JPG

Give me a heads up on when they are ready to be with Oscars and I will set up a 75 so they can decompress from the trip.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Here are a couple phone pics for now, I will get better ones with my camera later. I need to clean the glass.

Here is the male:

And here is the female:

So far they are being very good parents.

"

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking fish Kingfisher
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast