· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Algae Question

Default Algae Question

0 Not allowed!
    So I'm having a little bit of algae issues and wanted some input on how to narrow it down to the cause and or lessen it

In my 55 I am getting many different types, green glass, black brush and possible diatoms (might just be dust). My lights are on 8hrs a day, tank gets some indirect sunlight. I dose 4ml of a micro / macro nutrient mix from aquarium fertilizer.com, I dose 6ml daily of metricide 14 (excel flourish). I probably slightly over feed, I have cut back, but its mostly the sinking pellets that don't get completely eaten (thats my guess, its not like you can see food left but I'm assuming the fish miss a piece or two)

Any idea what I should try to tweak to correct the algae I have.
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    Try adding more fast growing plants to suck up the extra nutrients. Cabomba, hornwort, maybe some floaters are a few options. How much light do you have? what is the color spectrum of the bulbs and how old are they?

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Bulbs are probably 2-3 months and it is about 108W of CFL with all being "daylight" bulbs in the 5000-5500K range

I could get my hands on a few floaters, just have a decent amount of current with the HOB's so they fly around everywhere
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    2 suction cups and a bit of fishing line can cure that. What's your nitrate? Does the fertiliser contain any phosphate?

0 Not allowed!
    hmmm. I'll have to look into the fishing line trick. Might keep everything closer to the surface. My hygro has reached it and is bending over lol

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...itU=2&Regit=11

Thats the fert, I don't see any phosphate... but might be something with the chemistry that I don't know. With me going out of town for a week the tank will get no ferts for a week. I plan to turn the lighting down to like 6 hours a day too
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, that guy. Well, I'd get his opinion on it as well. AFAIk he understands EI dosing and might have a few tips. Turning the lights down during your absense is probably a good idea. My gut tells me your nitrates are a tad low and your phosphorous might be as well.
    If you got some time to spare, http://www.barrreport.com/forumdispl...nts-Start-here

0 Not allowed!
    My nitrates are constantly at 0... Every time I measure I can't seem to get a reading... the plants just use it all on it
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

0 Not allowed!
    So... if I'm right you're missing something or you'd see even more growth. Making a first attempt at some of the barr material would be, in my opinion, probably be worth your time.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to talldutchie

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Just was reading a bit, not positive the issue, I know something is missing, or too high. Just not sure what. I joined the forum and posted a detail question. Will update if I hear back
    The Dirty 75
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread