· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default where am i inthe cycle stage?

0 Not allowed!
    hello all... I am trying to figure out where in the cycling stage in at... heres the full story.....

Had a 2 month old 3.5 gallon cycling glow tank.. i went out and Upgraded to a 10g and tried to cycle it to get it ready from the fish in from old tank... as the 10 gallon is cycling i removed all decorations from smaller tank and placed them in with new (rinsed) aquarium gravel to help speed the cycling process. mean while im doing my water changes to the smaller tank and accidentally bleach poisoned the fish and frog, all died except the frog, i thre him in the new 10g tank. Had to get new fish asap(son was upset)....

First 4 days of 10 gallon tank cycle...(no fish)...(prior to bleach poisoning of small tank)..

Used all decorations to from old tank in new 10g tank Thank God cause then Id have No Bacteria To Grow Into New Tank... Tested water for about 5 days withph at 7.8, ammonia readings of around 3 nitrItes at 2 and nitrAtes at 5(nitrAtes stay at 5 from this point on).... 5 days after tank has been sitting with filter on we added new fish to 10g (keep in mind im using test strips)
    **** apparently the test strips are inaccurate?, which is what i used to get these levels*****

its been a week and a half now with the fish in and we lost 2 out of 7 fish and added 4 mystery snails(just wanted 1 or 2, but petsmart gave them to me). they seem happy but im still concerned bout my levels... we have been doing daily water changes with double the dose of safe start with no significant change in levels except ph has come down.
    Am I Heading In The Right Direction As Far As Getting My Tank cycled?

i went out and bought a liquid tester byt API. here are the results.,.. and other specs of tank

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0N1...it?usp=sharing

Ammonia looks like 1 or 2 ppm to me
    Ph looks like 7.8
    nitrites look like 0 ppm to me
    Tank temp...78F
    Tank volume.......... 10 gallon
    Type of filter......... aqua-tech 10-151
    All tank mates................. 4 glowfish 2 guppies and 4 mystery snails 1 dwarf frog whos lived for3 months now(from origonal tank)
    Any plants..................... not sure on type.. bought from petsmart, grows 3-4" and looks like wide tall grass
    Lighting.......... 18" 100 percent actinic lighting Substrate.... not sure what that is
    Liquid or strip tests.........liquid

any help wuold be awseome...

p.s. the fish seem fine and ver active, swimming throughout the tank and through the bubbles and currents from filter
    Last edited by snowfam; 04-08-2013 at 03:57 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    apparently my wife just told me that when she has been doing water changes that she was deep vaccuuming the gravel... did that mess things up?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The API test always seems like there some ammonia when I test my water, it never looks like that shade of yellow on the card. Assuming your card is the same as mine and your nitrates are still at about 5, you, my friend, are cycled. Check again in a day just to make sure the ammonia reading is "1 or 2 ppm" just to make sure that its 0 because like I said, that shade of yellow on the card doesn't match the actual color on the test tube. Disturbing the gravel can mess up your water quality, but your tank is new so I doubt it'll have major effects.

Awards Showcase

Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Your ammonia level looks way too high to me, ammonia needs to be 0...use this website in conjunction with your API test card to determine your levels, you can just hold your test tube up to your monitor to compare colors: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/downloads.html

Those "test strips" are useless and inaccurate....use your liquid test kit

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ++ to Slaphappy
    Your tank is NOT cycled if you have any ammonia reading.
    Only when both ammonia and nitrites read 0ppm is your tank cycled. Until then, you need to complete at least a 50% water change every day that your ammonia exceeds .25. And at this point, one W/C a day may not be enough.
    Your goal while you're cycling is to keep the ammonia and nitrites at .25 or under and keep nitrates under 20ppm
    As long as you use the API liquid test kit and follow the instructions to the letter, your readings will be accurate and they will match the card.

I'm not familiar with your filter but I'm guessing you need a second filter. You need enough filtration rated for double the size of your tank. So your 10 gallon tank needs filtration that will handle 20 gallons.

In the meantime, don't vacuum, don't clean your filter or the filter media - 90% of your beneficial bacteria is growing on your filter media so if you change it or clean it, you'll lose everything you've been working to grow.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 05-03-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    "1 or 2." I feel dumb, I was thinking .1 or .2. Yeah, what slappy said, sorry. :(

Awards Showcase

Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    No need to apologize, you are trying, that's what matters...what kind of de-chlorinator are you using?...Seachum's Prime is a very good one that does much more than dechlorinate...you need to be adding enough during EVERY water change that is required for your entire tank size, not just the water you are replacing

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    ++ to Slaphappy
    Your tank is NOT cycled if you have any ammonia reading.
    Only when both ammonia and nitrites read 0ppm is your tank cycled. Until then, you need to complete at least a 50% water change every day that your ammonia exceeds .25. And at this point, one W/C a day may not be enough.
    Your goal while you're cycling is to keep the ammonia and nitrites at .25 or under and keep nitrates under 20ppm
    As long as you use the API liquid test kit and follow the instructions to the letter, your readings will be accurate and they will match the card.

I'm not familiar with your filter but I'm guessing you need a second filter. You need enough filtration rated for double the size of your tank. So your 10 gallon tank needs filtration that will handle 20 gallons.

In the meantime, don't vacuum, don't clean your filter or the filter media - 90% of your beneficial bacteria is growing on your filter media so if you change it or clean it, you'll lose everything you've been working to grow.
    ^^ Very important info from fishmommie

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfam View Post
    apparently my wife just told me that when she has been doing water changes that she was deep vaccuuming the gravel... did that mess things up?
    Actually, I will politely disagree with fishmommie on the vacuuming part - there is no reason you can't vacuum your substrate during water changes, especially if there is excess food in there which can rot and contribute towards the ammonia level you're getting.

While the tank is cycling, you should be changing water often enough to keep your ammonia level at no higher than .25 - more than that is harmful to your fish. It's the liquid kit that will keep you on track - for such a small tank, you can change 50% water at a time - once the ammonia is down to .25, it will eventually drop to 0 once enough bacteria have grown in the filter. A fully cycled tank will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites & 20ppm or less nitrates.

Fishmommie is completely correct about not touching your filter media while the tank is cycling - be VERY careful to not overfeed - feed once a day just enough for the fish to eat in a few minutes - watch them eat everything before putting in more - a tiny tiny pinch at a time.

Also, those glofish don't really belong in a 10gal tank - they will grow too large and need lots of horizontal swim space due to their activity level - they start off small but grow! If you are willing to get a larger tank (like 20gal or more), make sure to get enough filtration for double the size of the tank.

If you are going to keep the 10gal, there are more appropriate fish for that size - like neon tetras or a similar tiny fish that stays small - and you will still need more filtration.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in