· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Exclamation Ich attack and water clarifier?

0 Not allowed!
    Had a ich bloom. So I have been using Koreans ich attack (the green herbal one) for about a week, and it smells like a trash can filled with dead things. It's terrible. Worst part is that its at the foot of my bed, the tanks been there about a year so its established but can I use water clarifier by tetra to neutralize the odor or will that mess up the cure for the ich? The lord on ich attack also stains the water brown. And the clarifier will fix that but will it stop the ingredients of the ich cure from curing my fish of ich? This is freshwater btw and 29 gallons

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also would switching to a different ich cure that works better kill my fish or not?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What is in the 29gallon tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    What is in the 29gallon tank?
    If I am interpreting that gigantic signature correctly it's the blue bit below..

5 gallon
    3 blue rams
    29 gallon
    One ram
    2 dwarf gouramies
    4 barbs
    2 irridescent sharks
    2 pearl danios

10 gallon
    1 upside down catfish
    2 red eye tetras
    8 gallon
    1 tattood molly
    2 bumblebee goby
    1 glofish
    1 neon tetra
    I am not an authority on Ich cures sorry [Haven't had it in years] but Deathclaw, You should know that there are going to be concerns with your stocking.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Ya might want to read the forum rules on the signature. Rules are 6 lines, not 16.

An ick "bloom"? That would be a new one. Did you remove the charcoal from your filter, if you use it? Did you add additional oxygen to the tank? Do not use water clarifier. You never should use two chemical compounds at the same time and best to not use any. I know of no ick meds that smell that bad. Are you sure the tank is just not smelly from lack of maintenance and overcrowding?
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 05-03-2013 at 04:09 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goes to 11! View Post
    If I am interpreting that gigantic signature correctly it's the blue bit below..

I am not an authority on Ich cures sorry [Haven't had it in years] but Deathclaw, You should know that there are going to be concerns with your stocking.
    Or to phrase it differently, it's not hard to see where the source of the stress is that contributed to ich "attack"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ah yes,

ick comes from new fish or stressed tank.

and if that is your stocking list, then it'll be stressed and the ick will never go away.

0 Not allowed!
    My recommendation on treating the ich would involve the following:

re-home the sharks and 1 dwarf gourami. Sharks get to large for that tank, and typically dwarf gouramis don't do well with their own kinda (unless you have a m/f, but females are rare)

After you re-home, up the temp of the tank to like 83* and leave it like that until you haven't seem any sign of ich for at least a week.

But that will not work if the source of the problem isn't fixed. I also think having 3 rams in a 5g could lead to issues, I'd say put the 3 rams in the 29 as soon as the ich is fixed

0 Not allowed!
    On a side note I'd recommend the following changes in your tanks, at least look into it

5 gallon
    3 blue rams Move to the 29 gallon after ich is cured

29 gallon
    One ram
    2 dwarf gouramies re-home 1
    4 barbs what type of barb? Depending on type you probably would want to up school to about 7-8 of them total
    2 irridescent sharks sadly most pet places sell these as aqaurium fish when they really need ponds - rehome both asap
    2 pearl danios Up this school, and move into the 10g tank
    add a small school of cories (like 6)

10 gallon
    1 upside down catfish needs a large tank, usually can outgrow even a 55g, re-home
    2 red eye tetras up school size and move into 29 or another tank

8 gallon
    1 tattood molly
    2 bumblebee goby needs brackish water
    1 glofish - needs larger school and most people say they need a long tank to be happy
    1 neon tetra - re-home

This is the final tank stocking I think you should aim for - again just a suggestion and its up to you

29g:
    3 Rams (watch for a pair and re-home odd one out - unless you end up with 2 females, this works sometimes)
    6 Cories
    School of Barbs (as long as its not tigers or a larger type of barb)
    School of Red Eye Tetra

10g
    School of Pearl Danios
    Shrimp or something very small such as pygmy cory (would be an awesome tank with two schools of microfish like that)

8g
    bumble bee goby
    maybe the molly (but this will outgrow the tank eventually)

5g
    1 betta
    or shrimp tank only