· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Gallon Ideas

1. Default 10 Gallon Ideas

0 Not allowed!
    I have 7 ember tetras in a ten gallon with some plants, sand, 2 amano shrimp and ghost shrimp. I plan on getting more, like around 13 or so total. What else can I put in with them? I'm thinking about more shrimp (cherry shrimp specifically), a scarlet gem badis or pygmy gourami, even pygmy loaches, or killifish. Are these good ideas? Do not be afraid to point out flaws. Also I am looking for ways to guard the intake of my filter if I do get cherrys, so if anyone has any ideas there that would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    fluval sells a filter intake sponge that works perfect.

Most of the fish you listed wouldn't work well with red cherry shrimp, I actually think the ghost shrimp would be a problem too (not sure though)

I would stick with just a school of the embers and have shrimp. Thats similar to what I have in a 10g and it works great. Remember, a 10g is a small tank, so really 1 school plus a bottom dwelling type of fish would work

Just my $.02

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll check out the intake sponge. I'm actually pretty interested in your ten gallon tanks, I subscribed in the hope that they will give me inspiration for my own ten gallon I wonder why ghost shrimp wouldn't be good with cherry shrimp?
    Journals Here

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Slip a sponge over the filter intake and your shrimp will be protected from being "inhaled." I found a couple of places carry attachments that replace the intake screen - Drs. Foster and Smith carry them, as does Ken's Fish Food. Ken's prices are a bit better than DFS. I have these in my 25g shrimp tank and in my 46g bf, even though there are no shrimp in the 46. I added it because I would open the filter at cleaning time and find a couple dozen snails inside. The prefilter does a great job at keeping the filter media cleaner too, so that's one less thing to deal with.

The smallest prefilter is rated for up to 20 gallons, but the sponge is very fine pore and tends to clog in a week. A few squeezes in old tank water cleans it right up and it's ready to go back to work, though.
    Dragoon Woman
    46 bowfront: Planted, Angelfish, Rasboras, Cories, Tetras, Otos
    25g: Planted, cherry shrimp, otos
    5g: Planted, Betta
    4g: Planted, betta
    5 horses, 7 cats, all rescued animals

Awards Showcase

TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    You could probably encrease your embers to 10. The only shrimpe I ever kept was a ghost that accidently got netted out of the dealer tank. It lived along time till I had to treat the tank for Ick and forgot it was in the tank. I felt bad because it passed away from the meds.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentoads41 View Post
    I'll check out the intake sponge. I'm actually pretty interested in your ten gallon tanks, I subscribed in the hope that they will give me inspiration for my own ten gallon I wonder why ghost shrimp wouldn't be good with cherry shrimp?
    The prefilter sponge I mentioned is at petsmart for like $2-$3, and fits any 10-20g HOB filter

Thanks for watching, just started the cycle, tanks have the hardscape, I need to take some pictures and figure out what shrimp I want, thinking yellow and pumpkin (orange) to start with, still considering crystals... but not sure

My current 10g is doing GREAT, tons of cherrys are coming along, but I have heard that the ghost shrimp can be violent to the RCS (again unconfirmed but just something I saw somewhere)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    I have heard that the ghost shrimp can be violent to the RCS (again unconfirmed but just something I saw somewhere)
    There might be some truth in that, I have seen the ghost shrimp be a little boisterous with the amanos even though the amanos are bigger. But I don't think it bothers the amanos too much. As for the sponge, I can't find it on petsmart's website. Maybe a link is in order?

It probably won't happen, but I'm curious: what killifish could I conceivably have? Why or why not?
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3650250

I think most killi fish would want more room than a 10g, specially with the school of embers in there... you might wanna look into adding a 20g long or something for them (this is how MTS develops lol)

0 Not allowed!
    It's a 10g. 13 embers and some shrimp is quite a nice load. If you want to keep more fish I'd advice you to get a second tank

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3650250 I did not see that lol, was looking under the wrong section

I think most killi fish would want more room than a 10g, specially with the school of embers in there... you might wanna look into adding a 20g long or something for them (this is how MTS develops lol) Do not tempt me! I have a 15 or 20 gal long in storage....??????
    Anyway, I'll try and get those covers. There's a good chance the appearance of my tank could change today. And for the most part, it's not a question of load, it's a question of space. So I'll get the embers for sure, then shrimp, and see what it all looks like. If I have a fishy urge, I'll set up another tank.....(sigh)
    Journals Here