· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: lazy male betta

1. Default lazy male betta

0 Not allowed!
    my first post here. good day everyone.

so, i have one betta who is extremely active and all over his tank doing his thing. the other one i recently rescued from a neglectful owner. he is extremely lazy. one of his things is purposefully going over to the submersible filter (aqueon 10) intake and resting his tail flat against it and letting it hold him there while he rests. he even did this in the old crappy made for children plastic tank he was in before this, which had a typical round stick like filter intake. it is not hurting him and he is perfectly healthy. the filter is one of the lowest flow ones there is, so it's not like it is forcefully sucking him next to it.

he is a constant rester, resting as well on his fake betta leaf and sleeping at night in his hidey hole. anyone else have a betta with this personality? specifically, the filter fetish thing he has going on?

0 Not allowed!
    Just a quick fyi, the mods will be editing the thread title, try to refrain from using any "inappropriate" language.

I swear as much as anyone, but on here its a no-no lol

As for the betta, it could just be it has grown used to the poor conditions it was in before, try a high quality food and give it some time in its new tank, it hopefully will come around. I have seen the "resting" betta before and usually to me its a sign of one that has been, or is in poor conditions (such as the tiny cups they come in)

More betta experts can help with the specifics, welcome to the forum though

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC
    There are a lot of things that could be going on.
    Do you have any idea how old the betta is? An older betta will often become lethargic.
    What size tank do you have him in? Heat should be kept at 82 - 84. Does he have any distractions in the tank to keep him from being bored? Also, are there any other fish in with him? Is he eating?
    It's a possibility that his previous owner's neglect has negatively impacted his health and he's just not feeling well.
    Then again, he could just have a lay back temperament - doesn't sound like it though. You're describing how my old betta started to act a month or two before he died. Not suggesting this is the case with your betta but it could be a possibility. Generally though, they also stop eating at that point.
    There are experts here on the forum with much more expertise than me on bettas so hopefully they will also chime in.
    Hope all is well with him and good for you for rescuing him.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the quick replies. looking forward to more input.

re: some answers - i'm treating him like a king. water changes often to heal up any junk he might have on him, as well as some salt and a bit of melafix (dose in half for betta sensitivity of course). i have NO idea how old he is. bought from petsmart by original owner in good condition and he had him for four months. can't be that old. he is eating fine and aggressively (eg. he tears apart bloodworms like an animal and like it might be his last meal haha). 5.5g tank. there is one zebra danio in there isolated from him in a large breeder for the time being (he usually roams free but is a violent son of a gun, so for the betta's sake he's in the pen for now). the betta isn't fazed by him it seems. tank is at 79 degrees. my other betta is at 79 too and is fine. can't raise the temp though because the heater is permanently set to 78-79 by manufacturer. it WILL warm in that room as summer comes though.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't use the melafix even at half dose. Reason being, it causes an oil slick on top of the water and bettas being labyrinth fish need to surface to catch some air on occasion. There is a product called Bettafix that is similar but is betta safe if there is a reason to treat him. If he doesn't appear to have any lesions or sores, I'd be tempted not to use any medication on him.
    As for salt - unless you're treating for something specific, most here do not recommend it in fresh water tanks unless, again, you're treating something like ich.

On the temp, if possible I'd get new heaters and set them at 82 - 84 which is the ideal range for bettas. 79 is too cold and may be why he's laying around so much.

The danio - it may not appear that it's bothering him but he may feel his tank is being invaded and is pouting :o) they are sometimes silly fish.
    Again, good for you for rescuing him. He's way better off than he was.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hi again fishmommie...

all points noted...he is done with his dosing regardless...just did a 3-day new fish addition regimen because he is a rose tail, and being all those folds in his fins, it's impossible to get a good look. so i erred on the side of caution and dosed him to treat anything mild messing around in there. the old tank was FILTHY. as for salt, his water is getting changed tomorrow so that will be the end of that.

as for melafix v. bettafix...i was under the impression that bettafix is just a half-strength melafix. i have read that many places before and also, the active ingredient is the same in both...just tea tree oil. can anyone else shed some light on that?

Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I wouldn't use the melafix even at half dose. Reason being, it causes an oil slick on top of the water and bettas being labyrinth fish need to surface to catch some air on occasion. There is a product called Bettafix that is similar but is betta safe if there is a reason to treat him. If he doesn't appear to have any lesions or sores, I'd be tempted not to use any medication on him.
    As for salt - unless you're treating for something specific, most here do not recommend it in fresh water tanks unless, again, you're treating something like ich.

On the temp, if possible I'd get new heaters and set them at 82 - 84 which is the ideal range for bettas. 79 is too cold and may be why he's laying around so much.

The danio - it may not appear that it's bothering him but he may feel his tank is being invaded and is pouting :o) they are sometimes silly fish.
    Again, good for you for rescuing him. He's way better off than he was.

0 Not allowed!
    I have edited the title of your thread

Please be careful not to use profanity on a family forum.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra 
    I dub thee official greeter to the forum! - korith Happy Belated One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue You need another betta! - Pleco380 it birtha the birthday betta XD - genocidex A birthday betta for you. - mermaidwannabe 
    You need a popsicle after wheelbarrow races! haha - escamosa Where there's plows, there's piggies! :) - escamosa You need some grapes, 'cause they were mentioned in the riddle! haha - escamosa to congratulate you on 2 years! - andreahp Here's one Christmas present! - Rue 
    I'm sorry I couldn't ship you one!! Forgive me! - bethyMT ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith this might help numb your lips lol - Gogi For being awesome and bringing me here. :) - Flyby Stardancer We need to get you up so you have as many bettas as you do in RL. ;) - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    I have one very laid back betta who spends most of his time lounging around watching me. He stirs himself to eat and patrol his tank now and then, but otherwise he's not all that active. He's an older betta, that I know, so it's probably understandable.

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act