· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Is aggression during feeding a worry?

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes during feeding in my 55g, when a fish eats food that the zebra loaches are about to eat(particularly the pearl gourami), the loach will pick on the gourami a few times then will eventually stop. What worries me is that the gourami doesn't defend itself. Though, when the fish aren't feeding, the gourami and the loaches can be right next to each other and be fine. This rarely happens with the rainbowfish.

If this is a problem, I have an option of peacock gudgeons for $8.50 and jaguar catfish(I don't know much about these) for $16. First I need to know if this is a problem.

0 Not allowed!
    It is quite normal and will only be a problem if damage is done or if someone doesn't get to eat. Zebra loach is this fish? http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-striata
    I don't see that working well with the gudgeon. They'd be competing for food at the bottom of the tank and the gudgeon would lose. I wasn't familiar with jaguar catfish but reading the writeup I think this would be a bad idea given their size. That species will easily grow to 8 inches.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I meant replacing the loaches with the gudgeons.

Everything does get to eat also. It's jut that the loaches sometime attack the gourami and Ive even seen them hit the whisker-looking part of the gourami(forgot what it's called)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a chance to return them on Saturday. There is plenty of other options and I can wait a month or two before getting new bottom feeders. Should I return them?

0 Not allowed!
    They are fine. Fish get a little excited at feeding time like all animals. Nothing here to worry about.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah. And you can always feed on two sides of the tank.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok thank you. It will probably be better once I get my 2nd pearl gourami and add boesemani rainbowfish because I havent fully stocked it yet. The loaches probably will keep to their own school instead of messing with other schools when I'm done.