· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Getting close to 20 on the nitrates with 50% changes every day. Ph is over 8 tho, is this reason for concern?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrates down to 10, no traces of ammonia or nitrites. Tank is recovering great after the goldfish removal. Actually got all 5 of them in one shot. Seem to be doing well, hopefully no death this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another oddity, but the plant on the far left and far right used to be the same size. One grew like a weed, the other is browned out all the time. Using floramax bulbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lost another one today. Cant figure this thing out. Water is good, been doing two 25% changes every week, any ideas?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I somehow have a nitrate factory in this tank. I'm doing 50-75% water changes every 2-3 days, and I even did a 90% change yesterday. My Nitrates are still 20, which isn't off the charts but it still seems high considering the tank isn't stocked heavy and my aggressive water changes. Is this normal at all? I keep hearing of these people with 0-5 Nitrates and I can't figure out how.

Also, if a Mod sees this, can you move this out of the Goldfish subforum since I don't have any goldfish in here anymore? Thanks!
    Last edited by calebtrueblue; 05-29-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    The usual suspects for high nitrates are an over stocked tank, dirty substrate, dirty filter, and nitrates in the tap water. Your tank does not seem over stocked, but have you vacuumed the gravel, gently cleaned the filter, or checked the tap water for nitrates?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tap water nitrates are somewhere between 0 and 5 ppm. My gravel is hard to vacuum cause it's the floramax substrate for plants. I think i might have been screwing up filter cleaning because I was rinsing it out with tap water and I heard that swishing it in old tank water is better. I have a hob filter with a bio nedua and and regular media. I also have an internal filter with carbon media. Can you recommend a good schedule to clean/change these filters so I don't lose good bacteria?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by calebtrueblue View Post
    Tap water nitrates are somewhere between 0 and 5 ppm. My gravel is hard to vacuum cause it's the floramax substrate for plants. I think i might have been screwing up filter cleaning because I was rinsing it out with tap water and I heard that swishing it in old tank water is better. I have a hob filter with a bio nedua and and regular media. I also have an internal filter with carbon media. Can you recommend a good schedule to clean/change these filters so I don't lose good bacteria?
    Cleaning your filter media in tap water is fine as long as you are adding dechlorinator to it 1st so you don't kill the beneficial bacteria but it's best to use old tank water to preserve as much bacteria as possible - just give it a swish in a bucket of siphoned tank water.

My nitrates run as high as yours - as long as they don't go over 20ppm you are fine.

Many forum members will clean filter media every few months or so or unless they can tell that the flow of the filter is slowing down/obstructed by accumulated gunk.

There is really no need to replace media unless it is totally falling apart - I've had the same bio media in my tank for 2 1/2 yrs - I keep pillow stuffing in mine too (for extra mechanical filtration) and replace that about once every 3 months or so.

If you did want to replace media, you don't do it all at once - you put the new media into the filter to "seed" it with bacteria from the existing media for a few weeks 1st before taking out some the old media.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That was very insightful, thank you. I never thought of seeding a new filter but that makes good sense. I cleaned my bio filter in a little bit of tank water because it had alot of fish waste on it and I thought it might be doing more harm being that dirty.

Had another interesting event. Came home last night and one of my fish were missing. I panicked thinking one had jumped out or something. I vacuumed out the gravel (I think that might have been causing problems, that was really dirty), shuffled around the plants...no fish. Heartbroken again thinking I killed another fish, I went to bed after cleaning the tank. I woke up this morning and there he was darting about like nothing was wrong. Didn't think I could lose a fish in 10 Gallons, but I guess I can.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I went 2 weeks without one dying and I thought I maybe had it figured out. The tank was even starting to grow green algae for the first time instead of the brown stuff. Got home from work and had a another dead fish. It looked like he just went because his eyes were still bright. He had good color and didn't appear to be malnourished. Nitrates were 20, but other than that the water was good. Just don't get it, bout ready to give up on WCMMs. I know they are supposed to be really hardy though so I'm worried if I switch to something else, it will just die as well.