· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Well, there's a plan B. Get a bigger tank! A 40G would work well I think.

On the other hand, some plants, and 3-4 additional white clouds would make a lovely and easy to maintain tank if you'd take the fantail back.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Haha yeah, I'd love a bigger tank. Unfortunately I'm running out of room in my room where the tank sits. I would probably have room for a 20, but that still wouldn't be a big enough home for the goldfish. Still might happen though cause i want my 10G for a quarantine down the road.

0 Not allowed!
    ...And back to plan 'A' we go lol.

You have plenty of options for stock but the current resident isn't gonna go the distance .....

This means you get to go shopping for fish .... After a bit of research to see what you like [that will work].
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lfs said they would take the goldfish for me. Yay! Now I can properly stock it. The wcmm i have are the golden or albino variety, will they school with regular wcmm or do I have to stay the same. Wouldn't mind getting the same fish in different colors.

0 Not allowed!
    That should work. Fish tend to be colourblind.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, so things got worse for me since I took the goldfish back. I had gotten two more WCMM to make 5, to go along with some sort of snail, this was on Saturday. Saturday night I got back from work, had a dead WCMM (one I just bought), next morning, a dead snail. This afternoon, another dead WCMM (older one).

My only guess is that the periods of high nitrates when the goldfish was in there weakened the fish. Still, the five of them were very lively for the day they had together. When the one died, the other 4 were still swimming around quite a bit. The only strange behavior I saw was every now and then a fish would sit alone in the corner of the tank for awhile, but would then return to the group. The nitrates got over 100 for at least a week when the goldfish was in there. They are currently at 40, and they are still falling (I'm changing about 20% per day). You think this was what did everyone in?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by calebtrueblue View Post
    You think this was what did everyone in?
    It could be. If I remember correctly 40ppm nitrates is the top limit of what is generally considered tolerable for most fish. Most here will recommend keeping nitrates below 20ppm and if your tank is reaching 40ppm you need to do at least a 50% water change. Now that the goldfish is gone the nitrates should not be climbing so high, are you cleaning the gravel to get the gunk out of it?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a plant substrate that has a lot of fine pieces in it, so it's been tough to vacuum, should I pull it and rinse it out?

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with honey badger - your water changes should be larger and more frequent (I've done two 50% changes in a day) to get that nitrates reading down to a healthy level - the whole point of testing your water is to make sure your levels stay stable - if they aren't right, then a water change is in order (most of us here do 50% at a time) to remove excess amounts of whatever is too high.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    No, don't pull out the substrate. Just gently clean around the areas that don't have any plants with the siphon.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.