· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Diabolical Mating problem - Help

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 730-750 gallon pond. It contains 2 commons, 4 Comets and 4 Shubbies. Everyone has gotten along great, until yesterday. I saw some raccoon prints on the side of the pond, and had a missing fish. Searching the bottom we found her, beat to hell, scales missing, tail shredded, and seeming in dire straits. Frankly, I don't think she'll make it. We assumed a raccoon attack, so netted the pond immediately.

This morning, I see "action" going on at the pond, and go out in the rain. The remainder of the goldfish are chasing, bumping, and making one of the commons "Captain Jack" nearly jump out of the pond (good thing for the net!) I realize, the first brutalized fish, whom I currently can't find in the pond, was likely harassed to that state from aggressive mating behavior.

Captain Jack, now obviously, Jackie, is being chased and harassed all over the place. My original thought is separate, but that's impossible, these fish are way too large to house in a tank in the house (6 1/2 inches or longer). Do I just let nature take its course? Is this normal behavior? Is the first one just exhausted and will recover? (Doubtful, she was beat to hell).

I'm new at the pond thing, so this is all new to me, and is rather shocking.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    Could you not Create an enclosure for that Single Fish? For instance by Putting a large dip net in the Pond with the Opening above the surface? Next priority would be finding more goldfish females so the males don't take out all their hormones on a single fish.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to what madagascariensis stated above. I have a pond approximately the same size and yes they are very active in the morning chasing each other to the point I'm glad there is a net over it but I have several females therefore one poor girl is not being relentlessly chased by males. I've had this pond for about 15 years and have never had a fish injured like that and I have a mix of koi, fancy tail goldfish and shubunkins. Make sure you're adding a pond stress coat to the water but she may have to be removed (a large aerated cooler) to have her injuries treated.

0 Not allowed!
    Might be a lost cause, searching for the injured fish, we can't find her. I spent most of yesterday searching every inch of the pond...... no where. The pond is now netted, so she didn't jump out, we have no idea.

The other female, they seemed to finally give up the chase after about 10 or so hours. Few scales missing, but looked fine, ate, and was calming swimming with all the others afterwards. I am wondering with just how beaten the first girl got, that perhaps it was a combination of mating AND a raccoon attack. Maybe the activity drew it to the pond and it swiped her as she was whizzing past? I'm not sure, but she was way more brutalized than the other female.

We are considering getting more females, however, no where I have looked online and otherwise, can tell me they are able to accurately sex the goldfish. I don't actually want to add more, but would if I could guarentee the sexing. The last thing I need is more males.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    it may have been a combination or just attacked by a raccoon or cat, I lost a beautiful fish to a raccoon once (found the carcass 20 ft away), since then the pond stays covered.

0 Not allowed!
    We suspected Raccoon because his dirty little paw prints were all over the side of the pond and the bench seat that encloses the filter set up. We still can't find the fish, searched and searched. She's not in the filter inlet pumps, or in any of the "hiders" we have (sections of cut black pvc pipe for the fish to hide in at the bottom). No idea where she is.

The hubs is going to be building a separation box, made of pvc pipe and plastic window screening so we can have it ready if we see more problems.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Well it sounds like you're doing the right thing with building a way to separate a fish if necessary, chances are a raccoon ran off with the fish that's missing :(. We once had a raccoon that literally scratched/chewed through the top of a plastic garbage lid! They're cute but persistent little buggers!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiari View Post
    We are considering getting more females, however, no where I have looked online and otherwise, can tell me they are able to accurately sex the goldfish. I don't actually want to add more, but would if I could guarentee the sexing.
    Males have "tubercles" on their gills and leading ray of their pectoral fins. Here's a site I quickly found that has a couple good photos of them.

http://www.solidgoldfish.com/2012/09...tubercles.html
    Julie
    Dog, cat, cockatiel, 4 budgies, & many fishies
    tank 1 - goldfish & white clouds
    tank 2 - betta, neon tetras, khuli loaches, & Bob the Bristlenose