· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Screwed up my first tank, need remedies

0 Not allowed!
    So, I wish I would have joined this forum first before getting goldfish, but I didn't so now i have a problem. I have a 10G tank and after killing several tropical fish, I got some goldfish cause they were cheap. So I put two comet in there and they lived for awhle so I decided to put a fantail in there as well. Not an ideal situation, but it is what it is. I'm working on getting another 25 gallon tank from a friend so they will at least have a little more room.

The tank has a power filter rated for 15 gallons and a few live plants. The test kit I have only measures ammonia (which is usually close to 0) and Ph which is usually 7.8. What should i do as far as making my fish more comfortable until i get a bigger tank set up? Air rocks, powerheads? Right now, one comet is about 1.75", the other is 1.5", and the fantail is maybe just over an inch so i have about 4" of fish, give or take.

So yeah, beginner mistake, trying to get it fixed.
    Last edited by calebtrueblue; 05-01-2013 at 05:07 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    You likely were loosing fish in the beginning due to having un-cycled tank. As for your goldfish, I would say you have two choices:

1- you can up-grade your filter, tank, and lighting to something that is more suitable for two commet gold fish and a fantail. As commets get to around 12 inches, you would likely need a 125 gallon tank (180 might be best)

2- rehome the goldfish, complete a fishless cycle on your tank, and restock with fish better suited for a 10 gallon.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    And if #2 is no option to you and #1 will take time, a 50% water change twice a week is a good idea.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    And if #2 is no option to you and #1 will take time, a 50% water change twice a week is a good idea.
    +1 - obviously, the best option is #2, however, if you are going to temporarily keep the fish in the 10gal and a 25gal, you are going to need more filtration (enough for double the size of the tanks - goldfish are messy & produce a lot of waste) - a filter rated for up to 15gal is really adequate for half that (because it's tested with no media in it) - those goldfish are going to quickly outgrow both your 10 as well as a 25gal tank - either that or become stunted in their growth.

Goldfish are unfortunately common newbie mistakes due to their potential growth which a LFS won't tell you about.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For more filtration, are we talking just a bigger power filter or would adding a small power head or something work? I think I might be confused with filtration vs. water movement. I'm hoping to have the 25 Gallon tank in a couple weeks, then two weeks to cycle. I am fully aware that the comets will need to be rehomed someday. Maybe I just get a smaller partner for the fantail in the 25 G?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Update, got another internal filter for the tank to give it a little more life. I figured I can always move that one to the 25G for extra filtration as well.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another idea, I also own a restaurant and we have two small ponds out front. One is about 45-50 G and the other is about 60-80. They both have a waterfall feature with 1,000 gal pumps. Do you think I could make this a home to the goldfish? I was thinking about maybe also getting a koi because I hear they can withstand colder waters. I have a pretty expendable income cause its for a restaurant so i can keep them alive. I need something to eat algae in the pond as well.

0 Not allowed!
    No, you need to deal with the cause of algae.

Such a pond might work for the goldfish if there's no herons. Goldfish, commons at least, can actually deal with winter surprisingly well

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bit of an update. I rehomed the two comets to the pond at the restaurant a couple weeks ago and they seem to be doing okay. So that left the fancy. I put in three white cloud minnows, a snail, and more plants. the tank seems much more alive. The fantail is much more active than he was when the two comets were in the tank. He doesnt pester the minnows one bit. The minnows usually swim around together darting through the plants and seem to be happy.

The tank parameters have been better now but not ideal. There are no traces of ammo or trites, which usually was the case with the 3 gf. However the trates are still a problem. With every other day water changes, I can keep it in the 20-40 range. If it goes 3 or 4 days, it's back up to 80+. The extra plants just went in, so that may help, but I'm thinking I still just must be past my limit with the fantail in there. Are water changes this freuquent normal with a 10G or am I just overstressing the tank and need to rehome the fantail?

0 Not allowed!
    +1 Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by calebtrueblue View Post
    or am I just overstressing the tank and need to rehome the fantail? .

The only answer to the question quoted above is this: How you fix this is very very simple, It's actually a one step process.
    Take it back to the store.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.