· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default can i use any jug to replace aquarium water

0 Not allowed!
    so i just thought that i use a jug to replace my aquarium water that has been washed in soap/detergent. then used for other things.
    i have been doing this for 1 year.
    could there be soap scum or something left on it that is bad for the aquarium.
    i don't think so because i have been doing this for a while now and nothing has happened.
    but better safe than sorry as many of you guys say.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here in the US-hardware stores sell 5 gallon buckets for about 3 dollars.

good investment IMO if you aren't using a python.

but to address your question about a "jug" I wouldn't after that prolonged use with chemicals. some plastics soak up way more than you imagine.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the hardware store buckets (that is... if you can get them where you are). Cheap and very useful! And you don't have to worry about what they were used for previously... I don't recommend using containers that have been in contact with unknown soaps or chemicals... like you said... better safe than sorry...
    Last edited by SomethingIsFishy; 05-01-2013 at 04:21 AM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What I did was just use a plastic milk cartoon that I cleaned out (hot water only) to scoop water from a bucket to my tank.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    ok thanks.
    i have a 10 gallon bucket which i use for the water change.
    but when i want to put the water back in the tank the 5 gallons of water is heavy.
    i will buy a gallon jug. or the same thing i use right now but only for tank.
    the jug is made out of glass btw

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When I do water changes I slide my little kitchen table over to the tank, set a chair on the table, set the bucket on the chair, and use some airline tubing to siphon the water into the tank. Maybe you could figure a similar way to get the bucket above the tank and supported securely. Then all you have to do is lift the bucket once, instead of trying to pour from the bucket into the tank.

I would also think a glass jug would be safer than plastic. That may be why you haven't had problems? I'm thinking glass doesn't absorb soap or chemicals, so a really good rinse would make it fish-safe. I could be wrong though...

0 Not allowed!
    A food safe jug can be washed with dishwashing detergent occasionally. Rinse it out a few times with hot water and it will be fine.
    A dedicated jug and bucket is a far better solution, it prevents accidents and human error.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm in the same boat vafa, except I use a 5 gallon bucket that was previously used to paint a house. I rinsed it out thoroughly with hot water about four or five times before using it initially. I've been using it for about a month and have not had any issues with it.

Having said that, I will be investing in a Python soon, since I hear it takes virtually all of the effort out of water changes. Can't tell you how many times I've almost spilled that 5 gallon bucket while carrying it over to the fish tank lol.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a pic of a water change on my shrimp tank.
    101_1927_zps62894163.jpg
    Lift the bucket once, start the siphon, and your good to go. BTW I attached a small stone to the end of the airline tubing with a rubber band to keep it under water in the bucket.

0 Not allowed!
    @ somethingisfishy: I love this idea.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.