· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default 56 Gallon Planted Community Tank ^^

0 Not allowed!
    I am currently working on a 56 gallon planted community tank n been getting requests for me to make a journal on it.
    My Goal is to stock it with:
    10 Cardinal Tetra
    10 Congo Tetra
    10 Harlequin Rasbora
    10 Panda Cory
    2-4 Rams
    1 Angel
    1 algae Eater or Otocinclus
    Plants:
    Amazon Swords,Italian Vals,Curly Vals,gaint Vals,HornWort,and a few other randoms.
    My Tank is currently
    56 Gallon - Dimensions: 30" W x 18" D x 24" H
    50lb gravel/30lbs Flora substrate
    2 of Aqueon 06079 QuietFlow 55/75 Power Filter, 400-GPH (planning to switch to a eheim 2217)
    Zoo Med AquaSun T5-HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood, 30-Inch
    "2 of Zoo Med Ultra Sun Trichromatic Super Daylight Bulb T5 High Output 24 Watts, 22-Inch"
    Aqueon® Submersible Aquarium Heater 300Watt
    i also use peat moss in my filters to keep it more tannec n acid

Current Stock:
    2 Harlequin Rasbora
    5 Cardinal Tetra
    1 Angel
    3 German Blue Rams
    1 Golden Ram
    8 Panda Cory
    1 algae Eater
    1 Zebra Nerite (plant stole away)

Photo:

i need a better camra before i can take pictures of the fishies thought ._.
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 04-30-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    56 Gallon Planted Tetra based Community Tank.
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-4Red/Blue tetra -7,Buenos Aires Tetra-8emerald cory-5"1 Zebra Nerite"Albino Bristle Nose-2
    Plants:couple swords,bunch of Italian Vals,Java Ferns,

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    had 4 german blue rams had to take 1 back to the store because it seemed like n odd number of rams brought out alot of agression so now 2 females hang out together and blue n golden hang out lol
    "Rummy-Nose Tetra-4Red/Blue tetra -7,Buenos Aires Tetra-8emerald cory-5"1 Zebra Nerite"Albino Bristle Nose-2

0 Not allowed!
    From what I've learned about ottos - they need a group. I can't advise about whether your list will lead to future harmony or not, though. That's also a lotta fish for that sized tank - I assume you aren't necessarily looking to put everything in but want to know what would work together?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the goal was to put all that in it i was asking around from what i understand it should work out fine. i do 25-30% water changes weekly and have 2217 filter hoping this would all work. and yeah i know Otto's need to be in group i might just cut them out all together n get a few more snails.
    so far the Harlequins and cardinals get along great.The rams im haveing great luck with they are vey very peaceful i been reading they uslay bug the cory's but im having none of this everyone is doing great im currently trying to get my Harlequins and cardinals to 10/10 but im haveing a hard time with finding a good stock of these the ones i been finding don't look that great ._. .My angel is the best fish in the world too No aggression towards anything at all! but we will see what happens as the tank ages i tried to get all the more aggressive/semi aggressive fish 1st in hopes they will grow n be used to it they are all young fish.
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 05-01-2013 at 03:55 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Wow - that's about 45 fish in a 56gal - with an angel that doesn't exactly stay small and the other fish eventually grow too - that is seeming a bit overstocked to me, even with over filtration.

I would bet that you would eventually see more aggression than you'd like - I think they'd feel cramped in there after a while. But that's just my opinion.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah if i start seeing agression i will probly end up takeing some back but im hopeing this works out good cause atm the Harquins stay at the top,Cardinals are middle,n cories are bottom n wall crazy things the rams stay towards bottom too while angel wanders everywhere. idk if congo is middle or top but im thinking it should work being where they stay and such.
    Also i`ve kind of been thinking of cutting out the Harlequins im not sure yet just because i can`t really find any good ones but im not sure yet ._.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm wondering why you are willing to take the chance on the aggression part - I mean, stressed out fish can become ill and infect other fish - you never know what stress could bring on and with that many fish in there, it could be difficult to single out the "bad guys" to remove it or them from the tank.

Please consider this before adding all those fish
    5 gal QT

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Just as a starting point, here is what AQAdvisor has for your current stocking list (what is in your tank now) and filtration:

Warning: Chinese Algae Eater is too aggressive to co-exist with Cardinal Tetra.
    Warning: At least 5 x Harlequin Rasbora are recommended in a group.
    Warning: Chinese Algae Eater is too aggressive to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.
    Note: Chinese Algae Eater will become incredibly aggressive and destructive when they become adults.
    Warning: Chinese Algae Eater is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 11 inches.
    Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 170% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Corydoras panda, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, Pterophyllum scalare, Gyrinocheilus aymonieri) or get a larger tank.

Warning: Water temperature requirements are not fully compatible between all selected species.
    => 75.2 - 86F: Cardinal Tetra
    => 66.2 - 82.4F: Panda Cory
    => 78.8 - 86F: German Blue Ram
    => 75.2 - 86F: Angelfish
    => 78.8 - 86F: Golden Ram
    => 71.6 - 77F: Harlequin Rasbora
    => 75.2 - 82.4F: Chinese Algae Eater

Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.
    Recommended hardness range: 5 - 12 dH.

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 171%.
    Recommended water change schedule: 24% per week.
    Your aquarium stocking level is 94%.

This is what it says for your desired list (minus the Harleys):

Warning: Chinese Algae Eater is too aggressive to co-exist withCardinal Tetra.
    Note: Chinese Algae Eater will become incredibly aggressive and destructive when they become adults.
    Warning: Chinese Algae Eater is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 11 inches.
    Warning: Congo Tetra will likely to fin nip Angelfish.
    Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 174% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Corydoras panda, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, Pterophyllum scalare, Gyrinocheilus aymonieri) or get a larger tank.

Recommended temperature range: 78.8 - 80.6 F.
    Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.
    Recommended hardness range: 5 - 12 dH.

Your aquarium filtration capacity is satisfactory.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 108%.
    Recommended water change schedule: 38% per week.
    Your aquarium stocking level is 134%.
    Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended.

It is the same with the Eheim 2217, better filtration but the same overstocking %. I have 42 fish in my 75 gal and I am at my limit.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 05-01-2013 at 11:44 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you need to trade in the Chinese Algae Eater, IME once they reach a certain size; they become the terror of the tank as gronlaura researched.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i already planned on returning the algea Eater i already could tell its going to end up being a problem.Also on the Congo i was told they are very peaceful? if they are nippers i gota look towards something else and it looks like i should not do the Harlequins for some reason the book i have on them says 76-80 on there tempt.Also what are u useing for that info? 0.o

Like i said before i was asking around on forums before settling on this and i was being told that this setup would end up fine (besides for chinese)