· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Some scary results at work

0 Not allowed!
    I work for a construction company in Niagara Falls working on a project that is a clean up job. We had some water tested from the site and I had to explain to a co-worker why the results were BAD. The pH of the water we had tested came back at 11.76...

No wonder there is nothing living near this site, slightly disturbing the things we do the places we live

0 Not allowed!
    Chemical contaimination perhaps ?

When you think about it, pure ammonia has a pH of 11 (if I remember correctly)

That is some messed up water
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    What's being dumped in there then that causes these insane readings?

In this country I've seen big improvements in water quality in general. When I was in elementary school the river Rhine was one big open sewer and a cormorant was a very rare bird. There's now all sorts of fish back in the river and you can see cormorants on many lamppost.

I guess what I'm trying to say it's not all doom and gloom.

0 Not allowed!
    Can't talk about all the details, but it is a huge site (like 2mil+ sf) that used to be used to dump different types of slag. Lovely huh.

Hopefully by the time we are done it'll be a bit nicer. But nothing is being done to fix what has already happened, just stopping anymore from happening... My co-worker said it smelled like chlorine, which has a pH of around 11.7, even though the sample had no chlorine to speak of in it

0 Not allowed!
    Nature's a lot more resilient that we sometimes think.

I've seen beautiful wildflower meadows here on ground so heavily polluted it was seriously fenced of and would be so for at least 2 decades.

0 Not allowed!
    Look up Love Canal in Niagara Falls, thats an interesting read

0 Not allowed!
    Probably caustic soda. Use vinegar to neutralize it if you get any on you or your clothes.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Yea we have to have all sorts of decontamination facilities for any worker that is on site. Don't we love WNY

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Yea we have to have all sorts of decontamination facilities for any worker that is on site. Don't we love WNY
    My part is nice, I try to avoid the bad part.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    yea I need to find a new house, thankfully I don't live near NF. Once I find a house I can start on my fish wall project