· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    I have yet to see snails breed to the point of over-running a marine tank. I have only ever seen that in fresh water. It is not common for marine snails to do that, at least not the ones that I have suggested above

My biggest reason on recommending the dart fish over the chromis is that they stay smaller so you could have a larger school of them. But that all depends on the type of chromis you get. The more common blue/green chromis typically stay around three inches while reef chromis will get to around 5 inches.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was planning on the smaller chromis. They are more readily available in case I make a mistake. I will definately add those snails, now that I think about it, i was researching my FW tank when i read about the over breading.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by calebtrueblue View Post
    I was planning on the smaller chromis. They are more readily available in case I make a mistake. I will definately add those snails, now that I think about it, i was researching my FW tank when i read about the over breading.
    Also, a really big concern is ease of feeding. I have an incredibly hectic schedule so it's really important to have fish that can be feed primarily by automatic feeders. I'm trying to find omnivores, that can take flakes and dehydrated foods, that i can suppliment with some prepared foods every other day or so.

0 Not allowed!
    That is a good idea as well.

Carnivores will also do well with good quality marine flakes or pellets
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's good to know. I was worried that I would be limited on my selection of fish due to the need to use automatic feeders.

Do you usually start with the invertebres since they have a lower bioload or do you start with a hearty fish once cycled? I am prepared to stock as slowly as necessary to keep stability.

0 Not allowed!
    There is really is no right or wrong approach to adding your stock to your tank provided you do it slowly. For me, it all depends on the condition of the tank after it is cycled.

Snails and crabs need algae on the rocks to eat. If your tank has some algae after it is cycled then add your CUC first. If not, then add one or two fish first. I would also wait about 3 or 4 weeks before adding one or two more fish as well. If you add your snails and crabs before you have algae, then you will just have to feed them. I had set-up one aquarium were I had to add my CUC last because I did not have any algae appear for quite some time.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrites have hit 5ppm, ammonia still at 2. Any concern, or is this still normal

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like things are progressing nicely

If there is no change in about 5 days or so, then do a waterchange. Stay the course for now and you should be fine

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    My biggest reason on recommending the dart fish over the chromis is that they stay smaller so you could have a larger school of them.
    Cliff, have you ever seen a full grown Scissor Tail? lol They may be skinnier than a Chromis, but they still get 5" long. I certainly would not suggest more than a pair for a 55gal aquarium.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How many watts of heating do i need? I got a 200 watt heater and last night it got cold in the house and my tank dropped to like 68. Good thing I don't have fish

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast