· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No offense taken, just didn't want you thinking I was going to a petsmart or something for aquatic advice. You've responded to every thread I've had in the forum and I do appreciate your input.

The day after throwing the live rock and pods in the tank the ammonia went to 2, by the next morning, it was near 4. Not sure if it was the pods or rock, or combination of the two, but the tank was struggling to get above 1 until I dumped all that in there. Hopefully the cycle has some legs and I'll start seeing nitrites soon.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not too sure if I am understanding your above post correctly. Is your ammonia currently at 4ppm ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That is correct cliff

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Edit, new numbers

one week from setup, 4 days since single live rock & pods addition

pH: 8.4
    Ammonia: 2 ppm (dropped from 4)
    Nitrites: .75 (first trace)
    Nitrates: 20 (first trace)
    Salinity: 1.021

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like your cycle is taking off

Be careful not to leave the nitrates that high for very long. Your rock can soak up nitrates like a sponge when in levels that high. The potential problem with that is once you try to lower the nitrates in your set-up, you rock can start to add those nitrate back into the water. That can give you some algae problems down the road
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, and water changes is the only way to get rid of the nitrates right?

0 Not allowed!
    You will be able to grow the bacteria that will eat the nitrates converting them into nitrogen gas. However, they are usually the slowest growing bacterias so that may take some time. After your nitrites start to drop a little, I would suggest a few water changes to bring down the nitrate level a little. The water changes would not slow down your cycle

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=81916

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tank is still going through what seem to be normal cycle progressions. I added another 10 pounds of live rock. They were nice long flat pieces so I was able to build some caves and structures with the rock I had.

I'm guessing I'm a couple weeks away from having it stable enough to add stock. Here's my wishlist

What I really want:
    -Ocellaris Clownfish Pair
    -Blue Green Chromis. would like these to be my school fish, so whatever they need to be happy, maybe 4
    -skunk cleaner shrimp
    -hermit crabs

What I might get depeding on tank stability or overstocking issues:
    -Firefish Goby
    -Orange Lines Cardinal
    -Some sort of dwarf angelfish
    -More shrimp, possible coral banded

From what I read, these seem to be able the easiest fish to keep and are very peaceful with maybe the exception of the angel. I really don't want to make this hard on myself, so I tried to find good beginner fish and I really like the way these look (especially the chromis) so I'm happy. Am I going to be able to get any of the fish on the maybe list or am I stocked with the first list? Anything I'm missing?

0 Not allowed!
    That stocking list is not that bad. I would add another 20lb or so of more rock and stock it every every slowly (once it is cycled of coarse).

Instead of the chromis, you might consider s school of one of the below dartfish
    Blue Gudgeon Dartfish (Ptereleotris heteroptera)
    Zebra Barred Dartfish (Ptereleotris zebra)
    Scissortail Dartfish (Ptereleotris evides)

You might want to reconsider the coral banded shrimp as they can be aggressive towards other types of shrimp

For dwarf angels, you might want to consider a Flameback Angelfish (Centropyge acanthops). Just add the angel last

I would also suggest adding some snails, like the Spiny Star Astraea (Astraea phoebia) to help keep the rocks and glass clean along with some Nassarius Snail (Nassarius distortus) to help with your substrate. Maybe only one or two hermit crabs as well, provided you leave some empty shells for them to grow into

The Orange Line Cardinal is also a really great fish. They look a lot like tetras to me. The SW LFS were I live has a 40 gallon display tank with about 30 of them. I was really temped to get a school of about 10 of them but my QT tank is full right now and won't likely be empty anytime soon

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The dartfish you suggested are beautiful fish. Is there an advantage over the chromis? I think I still may like the look of the chromis more but if there is a significan benefit in terms of bioload or temperment, those dartfish would look great.

I will scratch the coral shrimp, I was also thinking the flameback angel, and I'm definately adding it last.

Two hermit crabs sound perfect. I also like the benefits of snails, I have heard they can breed rapidly and overrun a tank. Is there a prevention for this or a better breed to select as far as this goes?

Thanks Again for all your help!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast