· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Water Testing (Beginner)

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all,

I recently just came back to the hobby after having a really bad time previously. I've now realised what mistakes I made etc... I'm currently cycling my tank Its a 94litre kent marine river reef with 13kg live rock,ceramic,live rock rubble, bioballs and filter floss. I wanted some information regarding the water tests please.

Tanks has been going for around 8 days now and these are the results:

http://gyazo.com/392bb7ebde822a80b5ac2cbe887397f0
    http://gyazo.com/8e75ff173e8c36d01b564861a42e7942

Any advice will be great help.

0 Not allowed!
    What exactly is it you would like help with ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    that might help if i added that sorry it completely slipped my mind basically wanted to know what the ideal test should be and what my water should be at? Also any advice when or if I need to put a clean up crew in? just basically any information regarding the tests I've done will help too. Like one that's bothering me is the No3 Test seems to be at 10ppm. New to marine stuff so wanted to make sure I did it perfect this time rather then like last time when I lost everything.

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, no worries

It looks like you are still having some ammonia in your tank. IME, the API ammonia test is not the best for marine set-ups as I have often had false readings of 0.25ppm when the Elos and Salifert test both showed 0ppm. If your going to turn your set-up into a reef tank, I would suggest to get a better quality test kit the next time you need to buy one. In the mean time, try getting your water tested at a local shop, just to make sure. I would not add anything to your set-up until your water tests 0ppm for both ammonia and nitrites. Once that happens, do a larger water change (20 to 30%) to lower the nitrates a little and your set to start stocking your tank. It not that odd at all to have higher nitrate readings like that when your cycle is coming close to being finished.

As for your CUC, any recommendations I could give you would be based on the type and amount of algae you have in your tank. If you could let me know, or post a few good pics, I can make some detailed recommendations for you.

Also, just curious as to your choice to have bio-balls and ceramic media in addition to your live rock. When you have enough good quality live rock, you typically do not need any other types of biological filter media. The bioballs and ceramic media can trap stuff which will end up adding nitrates and phosphates to your set up which can lead to other challenges with your set-up. As you already have 1 lb of rock per gallon of water, the live rock should give you all the bio filtration you need. I would suggest removing the other media and getting a skimmer. That will go alone way to controlling nitrates which would be very important for a smaller reef tank like you are planning here.

The below link explains a little more about cycling a marine aquarium if you would like some more info

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/cyc...rine-aquarium/
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the quick reply so you suggest i should remove the balls and ceramics?? Just was taking extra caution because of the last time lol. Ill get a water test done in the midweek do I still do water changes while cycling the tank? I've got a little video of my tank at the moment bare in mind the lights are usually off just on for the video its quite loud so you might want to turn it down asap.

yeah Ammonia is reading around 0.20 nitrate no2 - 0 ph 8.0 and nitrate no3 around 10ppm
    so was going to try leave it for another week before retesting to get a better answer/look at things.

Regards

p.s I do have a skimmer too.
    Last edited by Nukee; 06-23-2013 at 05:47 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I have two set-ups right now, 180 gallon and a 120 gallon. I don't have any bio-balls or ceramics in either. Just as much live rock as I could fit, and a good quality skimmer

If you have pretty good flow, that rock should give you all the biological filtration that you need

Did you every figure out why your tank crashed the last time ?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My heater wasn't turning off it seems even had an issue with this one so went to the shop got a new one now its sitting around 24-26 on a daily basis. Ill remove the balls and ceramics in like 5mins just get them out of there and hopefully that will bring down everything in line next week when I test it again. Ill take a sample to the shop next weekend see what they say regards to it. Anything else you can think of that is a must before adding clean up crews apart from the water testing?

0 Not allowed!
    It doesn't look like you have a lot to clean up in there. I would suggest about 8 asteria snails for now. You want to make sure they have enough food to support them, so start off slow right now. You can all ways add more latter if need be.

You could also add your first as well (once you have confirmed the water quality is in line)

What are you planning for fish ?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well my mum always wants the clown fish lol typical and tbh I have no idea for myself was thinking something really bright and colourful love the look of a mandarin dragonet but dont think ill be able to get one. Any suggestions will be amazing. So Asteria snails once the tank is ready for clean up? When I got the water tested today they said my PH was 7.9 Nitrate 0 some ammonia so I guess im nearly ready taken the bioballs and ceramics out now too. replaced the filter floss was a disgusting browny colour.

0 Not allowed!
    I would agree with you, a mardarin would most likely not do too well in a tank your size.

Personally I’m on the fence about a clown fish working well (long term) in a tank your size. Many experts feel that they can work in a 20 gallon tank so I would think one could work in your tank.

Below are some other potential fish that would work with your clown fish in your tank as well. I would say 2 or 3 of any form the below list would be OK

Red Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica)
    Purple Firefish (Nemateleotris decora)
    Dracula Goby (Stonogobiops dracula)
    Red Banded Goby (Stonogobiops nematodes)
    Gold Neon Goby (Eviota pellucida)
    Black Clown Goby (Gobiodon strangulatus)
    Orange Stripe Prawn Goby (Amblyeleotris randalli)
    Long-spine Cardinal (Zoramia leptacantha)
    Yellow-stripe Cardinal (Ostorhinchus cyanosoma)
    Yellow-head Jawfish (Opistognathus aurifrons)

Just keep in mind that a newly set-up tank can become unstable. That is why it is so important to stock your tank slowly, only 1 new fish every 3 weeks or so. You can add the snails all at once as they have almost no bio-load.

Just read up a little on your choices to make sure the combination you pick will work OK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast