· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Neons are imported and from totally different water. Your other fish are used to your water and the neons are not. Could be after they died, the others were nipping at them. That would also be normal for fish.

I suppose this will sound strange to some but I no longer lose neons now that I stopped acclimating them. I simply net them out of the bag and drop them in a quarantine tank with light out for a couple days. I used to lose 2-3 out of every new batch when I acclimated. When I stopped messing around with them, I stopped losing them. Go figure.

Those wee fish go through a lot. Dragged out of the wild, tossed into bags, flown to the US to a distributor and dropped in totally different water. Then taken to the fish store and into different water again with a net chasing them around all day. Then here they are at our homes again in different water. No wonder they have a tough road to ho'.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just discovered I may have a case of Ich. The neons have small white dots on their fins, in different places. The bloodfins and cory seem ok so far. What do I do??!! I hate to kill fish, but I sure don't want the new neons to kill my other 3. I do not have a way to quarantine them easily, just an old 1 gal betta bowl. Please help!

0 Not allowed!
    Neons aren't wild caught much anymore, most are now farmed on the big fish farms in south-east asia. Cardinals are much more often wild caught. But yes, they do go trough a lot and because the prices are so cheap they're not always treated with care.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lady Hobbs, that is quite strange. I did take the time to manually acclimate them (I didn't have the hose to drip, so I did it by hand). The acclimation could be the issue of dying. With the new suspected cases of Ich, is that just because they are stressed from the acclimation? How do I safely get rid of the Ich? As previously stated, I have both a Coryadoras and a cherry shrimp. The cory can't take the salt, and the cherry can't take the medicine. Of the two I'd rather keep the Cory, as the cherry will most likely get eaten as soon as the Bloodfins find his hiding spot. I don't dare sell off or return the new fish now that they have Ich. I can't risk spreading the infection, but I need to help the fish I currently have that are still healthy.

0 Not allowed!
    Then don't use salt but an ich medication.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Then don't use salt but an ich medication.
    Any ideas on the best medication? Is it worth it to buy a better brand, or is it pretty much the same with a generic? Also, From what I've researched, medication will only help once they lose the white spots, and the Ich. goes into its second free swimming stage?

Awards Showcase

feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass 
    Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Try Quick-cure; it always does the job for me.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not very familiar with what's on the North-American market. Pretty much any treatment, salt included, only hurts ich in it's free stage.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...onidazole.html is worth a try

0 Not allowed!
    You should have a small 5 or 10 gallon tank to put new fish in for a couple weeks so you aren't passing ick or disease to your other fish. If you use a medication, you will probably only be able to half-dose the neons. That just might be what is killing them, as well. Ick gets into their gills and smothers them.

0 Not allowed!
    I used Kordon 100% natural ich attack when a new fish I brought home came down with it and infected several fish in my main tank. I lost about 2 or 3 fish from it but I started quarantining & haven't had another case since.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in