· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry bout that but "nudging my way of thinking" didn't set right especially when you don't know what I'm thinking. Too many tanks is not my problem. But I apologize for being short. I need more coffee before coming here in the morning!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Knowing how much you love your blood parrots, I can't imagine that you'd give them up. But I do understand why you question keeping your tanks. There is a lot of work and a lot of expense that goes into this hobby. And sometimes it seems that no matter what you do, you'll lose a fish or one gets sick and you worry about it as if it were a child. And on those days a person does wonder if all the effort is worth it. But then there are the days where the tanks look so beautiful and the fish are so gorgeous and so much fun to observe that you remember why you got into the hobby in the first place.
    One of my friends doesn't get it at all. He thinks the tanks are cool but he doesn't understand how I can get attached to the fish. Per him, "It's not like you can take them for walks or pet them so what's the big deal?"
    Well, the big deal is, I took on a responsibility to care for them and that makes me invested. And while I realize intellectually that fish don't have the ability to 'bond' I feel a bond with them and their distinctive personalities make them unique and personable.
    Hokay - that was me rambling.
    and no, I haven't tried that fish food <g>
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Not too bad a price on the food for that amount, but as to the $$ issue. I think its something we all think about every time we have to make a major investment in the hobby.

I personally am one of the cheapest (i call it thrifty) people I know so that helps a little, along with selling some shrimp and plant trimmings that help pay for other things. And I agree, seeing certain fish that would be a perfect fit in our tanks, but not being able to get them for a decent price is upsetting. I've been fairly lucky and have been able to get a few people from local groups to all go in on a larger order so that shipping costs are reduced, but even then there are still fish that are difficult to find

0 Not allowed!
    Steering back on topic, I find that food costs is pretty much the smallest cost for my tank, it pales even next to fertilizer.

I'd be hesitant to feed anything that doesn't offer a detailed breakdown of ingredients. I'm also not too keen on buying bigger containers than what I'd use in about a year. The stuff seems to lose quality after that.

For me Hikari is still the food of choice, my fish just love that brand!

0 Not allowed!
    Yup. Food is cheap. The big amounts would be for those with many tanks or ponds. Even most fish are pretty cheap, really, considering how long they live. The food is comparable with other brands and I just wanted to see if anyone here had used it or heard of it.

It's made by Pure Pets.

http://www.pure-pets.com/

0 Not allowed!
    This looks pretty good:

http://www.pure-pets.com/pure-aquati.../color-flakes/

This I'm less enthusiastic about: http://www.pure-pets.com/pure-aquati...d/algae-feast/
    bit heavy on the protein but that's not that unusual.

All in all, seems that they got nothing to hide. I'd be tempted to give them a try. Either that or write to them saying you're a moderator on one of the biggest aquarium forums and would like to do a review.

0 Not allowed!
    You could. People listen to you and if that's a new brand they could do with some promotion.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Ah LH the woes of fish! Tell ya what, come back to Florida and I will keep your tanks up for you and you can just enjoy them? 5 or 6 is nothing on top of my schedule.

I am to the point where im planning on building a 500 gal pond in my back yard for a group of fish. As far as food goes, those bags do last. I feed a cube of freeze dried blood worms that have a few additives to my discus and cichlid pellets to my Africans and call it a day. I found a good supplier and get them in good quantity. The only thing that really ended up costing me a lot is wanting to try the new thing... I have what works and whats proven to work so I stick with it.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's