· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    You got that right. Better be able to sell a lot of fish to cover the cost. People in this apartment building all have electric bills of one/half of what mine are simply due to my 4 fish tanks. Good idea with the room heater, korith.

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, the way I look at it is, I don't plan to make any money here, but if the sale of the fry and shrimp help offset the cost, then great :)

The HOB filters I just had considered for certain tanks to supplement having only 1 sponge in it to save on room. I plan to do a centralized air pump running sponge filters in every tank.

Heating, I will def have to look into a possibility there. After reading a few things I have seen that if you insulate properly the heat from the lights can be utilized, along with other possible sources. If I can keep the electric bill for just this under $50/month that would be ok to me. Me and my gf have discussed the possibility of solar panels if we buy a house to try to live a little "greener"

0 Not allowed!
    For everything except the QT tanks is it not worth setting up one large sump to do the job. It's higher risk with disease outbreaks of course but it's not a massive amount of fish and will save you a lot in maintenance time (I imagine). Should also be a hell of a lot cheaper?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Holy cow. What does your electric bill run now? My electric bill is never less than $65 and usually around $75 and I have 2-55's, a 29 and a 10 gallon still in use. And 3 of them have clamp-on shop lights on them with the low energy bulbs in them. Only 1- 55 has a plant light on it that runs 6 hours a day. And I live in a 2 room apartment with no heat bill. In fact, I spend my whole life in my bedroom in front of the TV and computer. Only time I go in my living room is to feed my fish and dust. Not even a washer and dryer.

LOLOL

All the other residents have electric bills of $25-30 so I know it's these bloody filters and heaters on these fish tanks.

0 Not allowed!
    With that though I see issues with the following:

1: all tanks same temperature then
    2: having to drill all the tanks
    3: like you said, higher chance of disease

I have a system in mind that will make the water changes exteremly easy though, rather than having to pull out the python every time, all I need is 1 siphon (type used for cars or something similar) and pvc pipe running to a drain. That'd allow me to drain directly from the tank to the pipe with only about 2-3 feet of hose.

Then have a small water line built into the stand, with a downspout going into each tank. Each tank gets its own valve, turn on the valve till tank is full, turn off and dose prime (well actually do prime b4 the fill). Have the two lines going into one inside the back room to allow for temp adjustments and voolla water change system

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    Holy cow. What does your electric bill run now? My electric bill is never less than $65 and usually around $75 and I have 2-55's, a 29 and a 10 gallon still in use. And 3 of them have clamp-on shop lights on them with the low energy bulbs in them. Only 1- 55 has a plant light on it that runs 6 hours a day. And I live in a 2 room apartment with no heat bill. In fact, I spend my whole life in my bedroom in front of the TV and computer. Only time I go in my living room is to feed my fish and dust. Not even a washer and dryer.

LOLOL

All the other residents have electric bills of $25-30 so I know it's these bloody filters and heaters on these fish tanks.
    Right now my electric bill runs around $75 / month. That is watching tv each night, 55g tank, 10g tank and really thats it for my power consumption, during the summer it goes up to around 100 b/c I have central air. Which I will be setting at around 78* to save on heating my tanks

0 Not allowed!
    If you go with a sump, stick a uv in there. It won't stop everything but it will help.

My power bill was really getting high, think I was able to cut it down to about 1/2 of where it was, but it's slowly crept back up a bit. Some of the older light fixtures I had weren't very efficient. They used those old power compact lights, which jacked up my power bill. Though I did have I think 5 planted tanks back then with lights on them. Now I have just the 3 planted tanks that use t5 lights. Some of the other tanks share t8 lights. It gets fairly hot here in georgia so I have the lights turn on in the evening when it's cooler. Also blackout curtains to keep the heat from getting into the apt. This seems to help a bit, also keeps my ac from running all the time. I'm just glad water is included in the rent, so I make the most of it with daily wc's in some tanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith View Post
    If you go with a sump, stick a uv in there. It won't stop everything but it will help.
    hmm... that'd be an option, would need to drill the tanks though, and would want a very large sump, like 90 gallon tank. I could use a certralized heater in there while having additional heaters in with the warmer water cichlids (rams). keep the sump at like 72-73* while keeping the rams at 78* wouldn't be bad.

How effective are UV's and if so would it be an inline thing, or a in the sump type thing. I could also look into a more efficient heater if I went that way

0 Not allowed!
    If you use a sound QT process, no need to worry about diseases running through the set-up

A sump system could actually reduce your costs (or at least be close to the same) as compared to heaters and filtration for each tank. That is a main reason most fish stores have sump set-ups. This too would simplify you water changes and you could put the sump some place out of sight as well

But you still need to go with a set-up that you are comfortable with. I just thought I would through my $0.02 in there.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    If you use a sound QT process, no need to worry about diseases running through the set-up

A sump system could actually reduce your costs (or at least be close to the same) as compared to heaters and filtration for each tank. That is a main reason most fish stores have sump set-ups. This too would simplify you water changes and you could put the sump some place out of sight as well

But you still need to go with a set-up that you are comfortable with. I just thought I would through my $0.02 in there.
    My biggest concerns would be actually drilling the tanks. The 10's wouldn't bother me, if it cracks I'm out $10, but the 30g Breeders seem to be tough to come by and would be very afraid of cracking the tank there. Ideally the sump would work since I think everything I wanted to keep likes a lower pH and I would be ok with slightly tinted water due to tanins etc

I actually think it shows the fishes color better in slightly stained water.