· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Red face My fish wall idea

0 Not allowed!
    So out of boredom I have designed what my future basement will hold. It is a 10' Long x 2' Wide x 6' Tall Aquarium Wall

Capture.jpg

Tank Layouts:
    #1 - 30g Breeder - 6 German Blue Rams, South American Dither Fish School, Otos and South American Plants
    #2 - 30g Breeder - 6 Electric Blue Rams, South American Dither Fish School, Otos and South American Plants
    #3 - 30g Breeder - 6 Bolivian Rams, South American Dither Fish School, Otos and South American Plants
    #4 - 30g Breeder - 8 Apisto Cacatuoides, South American Dither Fish School, Otos and South American Plants
    #5 - 30g Breeder - 8 Apisto Borelli, South American Dither Fish School, Otos and South American Plants
    #6 - 20g Long - Crystal Red Shrimp Tank, Micro Rasboras, Otos
    #7 - 20g Long - School of Cardinal Tetra, Dwarf Sag Lawn, Vals along back
    #8 - 10g - Red Cherry Shrimp, Micro Fish
    #9 - 10g - Dwarf Shrimp, Micro Fish
    #10-14 - 10g - QT/Fry Raising Tanks

30g's will have 40g sponge filters and AQ70's on them
    20g's will have 20g sponge filters and AQ40's on them
    10g will have 2 - 20g sponge filters each

Tank stand will have PVC drains near each tank and ran to either a sink drain or sump. Stand will also have a 1/2" water line built in with a pipe and valve going into each tank so that tank filling will be easy

Just thought I'd post a future thought of mine, the cost is estimated as this - filters, heaters, sand, lumber - $600, tanks - $450, pvc - $100, air pump - $100. Fish stock approx $500 - $600. So budget will be around $2000 total. With some hopes of making that back with the breeding of the dwarf cichlids and CRS

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Have you measured the overall water volume weight? That will need to be a hefty structure. I like seeing peoples plans of different set ups. There is 1 thing that will cause you some trouble and thats your stocking choices. Those 30g would house 1m 3f dwarf cichlids max, 8 just aint gona happen, you will have some serious battles to contend with.

Its good to work out the kinks first here though!
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

0 Not allowed!
    The 4 corner posts will be 4x4's, with 2x4's as the middle supports. The shelves are going to be made of 2x6's and 1/2" or 3/4" plywood. I plan to build this thing to withstand an earthquake lol

Even with it being a breeder tank it could only do 4? I have 5 German blues in my 55 gallon (the footprint is 48" x 12") vs the 30g Breeder would be 36" x 18". I was thinking for all the tanks I would have 2 males with the rest being females

0 Not allowed!
    Estimated tank weights should be around 3000lbs

0 Not allowed!
    One problem with racks is the tank on the highest shelf can be hard to reach for water changes. As well when doing water changes on the bottom shelf tanks, it can be touch to get a siphon going to get water out for a water change. For the bottom shelf I end up using a pump to get water out of the tank. One more thing you gotta watch out for, the amount of clearance you leave between the top of the tank and shelf above it. Leave too little room and you will a heck of a time trying to net fish, do water changes and add/remove decor. If you plan to add lights onto the bottom of each shelf to light up the tanks, that'll eat up some precious room as well. I think the spacing on mine leaves around 10" of clearance between top of tank and each shelf.

0 Not allowed!
    The current plan calls for pvc drains built into the stand, so the siphon won't be an issue, I can't find the link with the original idea, but it calls for 1-2" pvc tubes attached to the stand at a slight slope, in a few locations you put a T-Wye in and have the whole thing run to a vertical piece at one of the corners, this then drains the water where ever you need it to go (drain, sump etc)

The way that is drawn up leaves 6" of room between top of tank and bottom of wood, I had been thinking that the shelves would be made of 2x6's for the two outside beams with 2x4's as the two inside beams. That would actually be around 8" of space, with the lights attached to the bottom of the shelf above. With that all in mind, it leaves me with the bottom of the lowest tank at 2' off the ground and the top of the tallest tank at 7'. The tanks on the top would probably require a small step stool (I'm 6'-2" so I could reach no problem, but for any detailed work I think a small stool would be the best best)

I get so excited just thinking about this thing lol

0 Not allowed!
    And just some rough numbers on utility impact would be the following:

Aquaclear filters approx 14W/hr - 7ea
    Air Pump - unknown assume 50W/hr - 1ea
    Lights - depending on model 70-110 w/hr (running 8hr/day)
    Heaters - 125W for 30's, 100W for 20's, 50 W for 10's - Assume running 12 hours/day

approx 125 KW/month @ national average of approx $0.15/KW = $20/month electric bill
    for heaters it would be 425 KW/month @ $.15/KW = $65/month -> Would look into a better way to heat to reduce this cost

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Even with it being a breeder tank it could only do 4? I have 5 German blues in my 55 gallon (the footprint is 48" x 12") vs the 30g Breeder would be 36" x 18". I was thinking for all the tanks I would have 2 males with the rest being females
    In my experience breeder tanks are more hostile environments so you keep a less concentrated population - not more. I would think that keeping that many together would either:
    - have them killing each other; or
    - not induce breeding behaviour (too stressed); or
    - never produce viable fry.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Ha, I love the internet, possible solution. Because I want to be a pain and not just hide all my tanks in one room, I could do something like an in-the-wall build.

Have this rack like 2-3' from a wall and build a small room behind it. Enclose the front of it and install a humidity controlled fan. While I think I would still need a heater in every tank, I think it would greatly reduce the amount of work they need to do. The heat from the lights would help, and this would also allow me to insulate the back sides of it. I would need some talent to make a clean looking set up, but I think it would be doable

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    In my experience breeder tanks are more hostile environments so you keep a less concentrated population - not more. I would think that keeping that many together would either:
    - have them killing each other; or
    - not induce breeding behaviour (too stressed); or
    - never produce viable fry.
    Ok, so #'s will be reduced, do you think a 1m/3f mix would be better? I would like a small school of dither fish (such as rummynose etc)