· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Tank upgrade question.......

0 Not allowed!
    Hi I am heavily considering upgrading my 20g T freshwater tank to maybe a 36g or 42g bowfront tank. When I do, there are some things I was wondering:

1- substrate. When I add new because it's bigger tank should I transfer the old and mix with the new or just start fresh?

2- water. Should I top off in addition to the water currently in the tank or completely start fresh?

I currently have 2 filters: Marineland Penguine 200 and Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 so I know that won't be an issue.

Is there anything else I should be concerned or look out for as I upgrade my aquarium?

BTW, I currently have 3 cherry barbs, 2 black phantom tetra, 2 silver tip tetra, 2 diamond tetra, 1 bamboo shrimp, 1 bushynose pleco
    37 Gallon Community: (3)Diamond Tetra (1) Black Phantom Tetra (1) Bushy Nose Pleco (4) Silvertip Tetra (5) rummy nose tetra (1) "fancy" angel (4) Serpae Tetra (2) Neon Dwarf Gourami (8) Plants

0 Not allowed!
    My personal thought is to always get the biggest tank that you can afford. Also you want to double the filtration on it so if you go with a larger tank you may need more filtration. I believe the penguin is rated for 30 gallons and the other for 20 so that is a good amount of filtration for a 25 gallon max if I'm right about those numbers.

The substrate and water is completely up to you. The majority of your BB is in your filter media so as long as you keep that moist in tank water during the change you should be golden. You have 4 schooling species in small incomplete groups. Depending on the tank size you end up with I would either pick two and make big schools of 12 (returning the others) or make all the schools a minimum of 6+ if space allows.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    +1 CL Nailed it.

Double your filtration - Check
    Up your schools [Either route mentioned will work] - Check
    Keeping the old dirty water is just... Keeping old dirty water - It would provide no benefit whatsoever.

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My Aqueon is for 20g it was part of the kit that came with my tank and my marineland is rated for upto 50g.
    37 Gallon Community: (3)Diamond Tetra (1) Black Phantom Tetra (1) Bushy Nose Pleco (4) Silvertip Tetra (5) rummy nose tetra (1) "fancy" angel (4) Serpae Tetra (2) Neon Dwarf Gourami (8) Plants

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asult316 View Post
    My Aqueon is for 20g it was part of the kit that came with my tank and my marineland is rated for upto 50g.
    Yes... We are VERY familiar with the filters in question, The one that came with it is adequate for a 10g tank and the Marineland is adequate for UPTO a 25G tank..

Exactly like Crunchy said.

Keep in mind we are speaking from actual real world exp here and not simply repeating what it says on a box.

When we say that filters are good for half their rating.. That's what we mean.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    I'll give you an example. I bought a 55 gallon kit that came with a Aquaflow filter rated at 55 gallons. My water never was clear, always kinda murky. My stocking was right for my size tank. I added a rena xp1 rated at 45 gallons. Now I have 2 filters with combined at 100 gallon for my 55 gallon tank. It was like night and day. My water almost instantly became crystal clear. Trust me, you want to take their advice!

0 Not allowed!
    Moving tanks is a lot easier if you set up the new one first and let the new filter run in parallel on the old tank first.

Transferring gravel and fish at the same time is very stressful for the fish.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't realize that in actuality filters are good upto half their rating, good to know thanks. I was really hoping my 2 filters would be enough.

0 Not allowed!
    What I've learned here is that when filters are being tested, it is done without any media - once the media is added, this restricts the amount of water flowing through it -empty slots or baskets with water rushing through them versus slots or baskets full of cartridges, ceramic rings or sponges.

In this hobby, much of the cost is for adequate filtration.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea I'm learning that. I actually bought the marineland filter not that long ago because I thought I'd be upgrading eventually and it would be suitable for my next tank. Guess not.