· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Honey Gouramis compatibly

0 Not allowed!
    I'm down to 10 blood fins after ph flux killed one and another caught a unknown disease. To finish my 20 gallon I want to get a bolivan ram and I'm thinking a pair of honey gourmis would go nicely with the ram and the tetra to finish out the tank. Its a 20 gallon tall with two AC30s for filtration and fairly heavily planted. Would this stock be compatible with each other? I've got a couple of concerns though, would this be over stocked? From what I can find the honeys would stay in the top 3rd of the tank and the ram on the bottom thus not causing a problem with the tetra going all over. Secondly I've read that they can be aggressive and I'm wondering if there would be problems between the fish.

Side note; I haven't been able to nail down a cause of the fish death. Its been almost a week and none of them have come down with what ever it was. Can anyone recommend a good general medication to treat any unknown sickness? I won't be adding anything till I'm sure what ever it was is gone.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The gourami that I was talking about is a gold gourami. I'm think one gold gourami plus the bolivan ram will finish the tank off nicely. What do you guys think?
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't do a pair of gold's in a 20gallon.

But i've had bad luck w/ gourami's and ram's getting along.

I think a ram + bloodfin tank would be nice. hopefully someone else will comment on a gold/honey combination in that tank.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm really beginning to believe that gourami's are just hit or miss. I had a honey gourami that was very peaceful. I kept neons, swordfish, and a few others. He never bothered any other species. It wasn't until I intorduced a pearl gourami that ww3 broke out. The pearl was mean as all outdoors. I turned my tank into a species onlt tigerbarb tank. The pearl was the king among 20 Tigerbarbs.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've ditched the idea I think a gold is just to big for the tank at 4 or 5 inches. What do people think about a school of 8 harlys plus the ram and bloodfins?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limming View Post
    Side note; I haven't been able to nail down a cause of the fish death. Its been almost a week and none of them have come down with what ever it was. Can anyone recommend a good general medication to treat any unknown sickness? I won't be adding anything till I'm sure what ever it was is gone.
    While I can't comment on your compatibility questions, I will tell you that there is no "general" medication to treat unknown sickness. There are products available to "deworm" new fish that might have internal parasites but most meds are made to treat specific symptoms that can be seen.

The best preventative treatment for most illlnesses is clean water, regular water changes, filter maintenance & checking your parameters to make sure your tank is cycled. Sometimes we won't ever know what killed a particular fish.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limming View Post
    I've ditched the idea I think a gold is just to big for the tank at 4 or 5 inches. What do people think about a school of 8 harlys plus the ram and bloodfins?
    This should be fine as long as the ram has its requirements.