· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Angry Ice cubes for temperature adjustments

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure why there is an angry face in the title and can't figure out how to remove it...

As temperature is starting to rise, I was wondering if freezing cubes of treated water would be good to use for minor temperature adjustments within the aquarium. I have a 12 gallon and a 5 gallon tank. The 12 currently has 3 subtropicals (will be adding 2 more currently in QT, and possibly 2 at a later date), and the 5 has a male betta with heater. Is this a good idea for both/either tank? If so, could I just put the cubes in the tank and let them melt, or should they be in plastic bags?
    Last edited by Betta113; 04-29-2013 at 12:37 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Why would you be cooling a betta tank exactly? What temps are we talking about here

Personally, I wouldn't bother but can you be more specific wrt your 12g stock? 'subtropicals' isn't very telling.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have white cloud mountain minnows in the 12 gallon, so I was asking more about them...just trying to give as much as possible
    Last edited by Betta113; 04-29-2013 at 01:07 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goes to 11! View Post
    What temps are we talking about here
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    64-74 degrees on average...a this is the first summer I will have the 12 gallon, I wanted to do the research before the temps rise

0 Not allowed!
    Those temps are not going to be an issue. I am curious about the dimensions of the 12 tank though.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Even if the inside air temp get to 90 degrees?
    21 x 11.5 x 17.5 inches for the tank

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Betta113 View Post
    64-74 degrees on average...a this is the first summer I will have the 12 gallon, I wanted to do the research before the temps rise
    Quote Originally Posted by Goes to 11! View Post
    Those temps are not going to be an issue. I am curious about the dimensions of the 12 tank though.

Quote Originally Posted by Betta113 View Post
    Even if the inside air temp get to 90 degrees?
    21 x 11.5 x 17.5 inches for the tank
    ... 90f is obviously not the temps I referred to.

Care to elaborate?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think his question is if the air temp gets up to 90 degrees what would be a good method to cool the tank if needed. I don't think ice cubes would be a good method, I see that causing to rapid a shift in temp and causing uneven temps within the tank.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    The ice melts in about 2 minutes and doesn't do anything much. If tank temps get too warm, leave the lights off more and turn a fan on the tank but that would only be necessary if the water temps got up over 80 and beyond.