I have no problem admitting this - I am an aquarium n00b. My 5 gallon, freshwater tank was given to me as a 39th birthday gift (symbolic of a celebration of life, before I hit the big four-oh?). My 5 gallon tank has been populated with 5 small Glofish. Cute critters. They have brought me many smiles in the month-or-so I have had them.

Just in the past 2 or 3 days, I have noticed a sudden explosion of algae clinging to the sides of my tank and on the aquarium gravel lining the bottom of my tank. After reading some of the threads, around this (very informative) forum, the most interesting of threads ended in a battle of the egos that forced the thread to be closed. Sadly, this happened before a good solution was reached. So, I'm hoping to reopen the topic, but with the difference of me admitting that I don't know much about these things, therefore, I am more open to suggestions than the original thread's author. In short, I need help and I am willing to accept it!

Here is where I am at - in the thread that caught my attention (the one that was prematurely closed), it was pretty well determined that the underlying cause of the access algae was, likely, too much light. My tank was likely receiving too much light, too. The aquarium light would be on from roughly 8:00 AM until 11:00 PM, with the aquarium room being completely dark from 11:00 PM until 8:00 AM, the next morning. I have turned the aquarium light off, allowing just the room's ambient light to be the only light. With 5 Glofish being the only residents in a 5 gallon tank, I don't BELIEVE the tank is over-populated, but I could be wrong, on that. What do you think? Are there any other algae-causing factors I might consider, that I have not mentioned, yet?

With the previous paragraph hoping to get to the bottom of the algae issue, this paragraph focuses on what to do about it? How would you recommend cleaning the existing algae? Algae eater? Just let it run its course? Complete water change?

I am your audience. Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated... and I am looking forward to learning a thing, or three...