· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Help with stocking new aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    I have high Nitrate and Nitrite levels. They have been high for approximately two days now. Here is all of my information:

Size: 55 gal
    Filter: Marineland Penguin 350 (using dual cartridge feature for a total of four cartridges)
    Feeding habits: Flakes twice daily, wafters once daily
    Ammonia: 0
    Temp: 72 - 74 F (no heater needed)

Stocking info:
    Spotted Rubberlip Pleco 1
    Velvet Wag Swordtail (F) 2
    Black Skirt Tetra 6
    Mystery Snail 2
    Siamese Algae Eater 1
    Molly (Dalmation, Silver) 2
    Zebra Danio 5
    Torquoise Guppy 4

Am I overstocked? Overfeeding? Or is this normal for a new aquarium? I've had the tank for about four weeks and I added approximately 4-6 fish a week.

I used aqadvisor for stocking advice, and according to them my tank is at 92% capacity. Here is the link to my tank:
    http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.p...rchMode=simple

So far the fish are still acting somewhat normal, but I am worried that they may start showing signs of Nitrite/Nitrate poison. Please help!

0 Not allowed!
    You're not overstocked, you are weirdly stocked and you got some bad combinations

There's no history here, was this tank cycled? Do you actually change cartridges?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tychondrias View Post
    I have high Nitrate and Nitrite levels. They have been high for approximately two days now. Here is all of my information:

Size: 55 gal
    Filter: Marineland Penguin 350 (using dual cartridge feature for a total of four cartridges)
    Feeding habits: Flakes twice daily, wafters once daily (You are feeding too often & most probably too much also - once a day with a fast day is good)
    Ammonia: 0
    Temp: 72 - 74 F (no heater needed) With your stock what makes you think you don't need a heater? Most tropical freshwater fish are happiest with temps between 76-80

Stocking info:
    Spotted Rubberlip Pleco 1
    Velvet Wag Swordtail (F) 2
    Black Skirt Tetra 6
    Mystery Snail 2
    Siamese Algae Eater 1
    Molly (Dalmation, Silver) 2
    Zebra Danio 5
    Torquoise Guppy 4

Am I overstocked? Overfeeding? Or is this normal for a new aquarium? I've had the tank for about four weeks and I added approximately 4-6 fish a week. That's too many fish to add in a week. If I were you I would be doing big water changes (like twice a day - 50% at a time) to get your nitrites & nitrates down (you didn't mention what they are exactly - nitrites to no higher than .25 and nitrates to 20ppm or less - I don't think you're overstocked, but it's important to get your water parameters good before any other fish.

I used aqadvisor for stocking advice, and according to them my tank is at 92% capacity. Here is the link to my tank:
    http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.p...rchMode=simple

So far the fish are still acting somewhat normal, but I am worried that they may start showing signs of Nitrite/Nitrate poison. Please help!
    What are you using to test your water parameters? Strips? Liquid test kit? Local store?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    Most tropical fish don't need 80 degree water. Most of the OPs fish don't need even 76 degrees. Guppies, mollies, swordtails, zebra danios, are all hardly "tropical" fish. The lower end of their preferred temperature range is in the mid 60's. The rubberlip pleco doesn't need the high 70's either. Only the SAE and blackskirts "prefer" it a little warmer.

0 Not allowed!
    Actually the rubberlip needs well aerated clean water not really warmer than 23C.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Which fish are bad combinations? I consulted a couple of forums, aq advisor, petsmart and petco before I bought each of those fish.

I am new to cycling tanks. I have changed the cartridges once in 4 weeks, two 50% water changes in the first two weeks and 25% every week after.

I use the strips which after two weeks read zero on nitrate and nitrite. When I added the five zebra danio that's when I first noticed the spikes.

0 Not allowed!
    So you didn't cycle and you're changing cartridges. Well that certainly explains the peak. Have a look at the stickies here about cycling

Blackskirts do better in bigger groups. It's a soft water species.
    The siamese algae eater (if it is really one and not one of the many lookalikes) does like some company and soft water. These fish need additional food in new tanks.

The danios are in a group that's too small. They and the livebearers like their water a bit harder than the blackskirts.

The "pleco" is most likely this one http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...species_id=308 that's a hillstream species that needs very clean water, well aerated and at room temperature, the rest of your fish like it a bit warmer.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    The "pleco" is most likely this one http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...species_id=308 that's a hillstream species that needs very clean water, well aerated and at room temperature, the rest of your fish like it a bit warmer.
    Aside from the tetras and SAE, the temperature range of the pleco is just fine for the rest of the fish. I know everyone thinks livebearers and zebra danios are "tropicals", but the lower end of their preferred temperature range is in the low to mid 60's. They do not need a heated tank, unless one WANTS to keep them in warmer water.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So far none of the fish have died, and none are showing any signs of poisoning as of this morning. The levels are still high, but the fish are doing fine, perhaps it's only a matter of time?

My plan was to reduce the frequency of feeding, and add something to reduce Nitrites and Nitrates. Ammonia is still registering at 0, which I guess means that the Ammonia cycle is complete? As for my stocking habits, I have 6 blackskirts, this is not a big enough group for them? The rep at PetSmart said the Danio's like groups of 3 or more, so I went with 5 to be safe.

I've heard this hobby gets easier the longer you are in the game, but so far it feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back with everything that I do. Nobody told me about the Nitrogen Cycle when I bought the tank, bought the supplies, or bought the fish. I was just handed some Stress Zyme and told "put this in and you can add fish today". I realize that I've made some mistakes, but my goal is to recover from them and count it as a lesson learned.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tychondrias View Post
    I realize that I've made some mistakes, but my goal is to recover from them and count it as a lesson learned.
    That's all you can do. Often there is more to learn from failure than success.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L