· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    On the Python water changer, how do you guys get the excess water out of the line when you are finished with the water change? I tried everything and could only get about 80% of it out.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tychondrias View Post
    On the Python water changer, how do you guys get the excess water out of the line when you are finished with the water change? I tried everything and could only get about 80% of it out.
    I don't have a Python (I prefer the Aquean) but I imagine the principle is the same. Just open both valves, let one end drain either outside or in a bathtub or basement drain that's lower than the end you're holding and coil it in a loose loop until all the water drains out.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 
    Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA 
    It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    What I do is make sure the python is back in "sucking" mode (tap running full blast on cold) then I stretch the hose out and from the very end and I just hold the hose up high and walk forward (leaving the vacuum end of the hose on the floor behind me) until I reach the sink, you'll be able to see the water in the hose move forward in front of you then when I reach the sink I disconnect leaving the connection part in the sink and repeat the whole process again. I hope that made some sort of sense :D

fishmommie, I tried that with the python and it just doesn't empty very well, next time I may give the aqueon changer a try :D
    Last edited by JudiJetson; 05-03-2013 at 12:39 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I don't have a Python (I prefer the Aquean) but I imagine the principle is the same. Just open both valves, let one end drain either outside or in a bathtub or basement drain that's lower than the end you're holding and coil it in a loose loop until all the water drains out.
    +1 This is what I do too
    Aqueon/Python - They are effectively the exact same thing. For the record I never run the water while draining but then again I don't drain to the sink either - Just like above, I let gravity take care of that.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudiJetson View Post
    What I do is make sure the python is back in "sucking" mode (tap running full blast on cold) then I stretch the hose out and from the very end and I just hold the hose up high and walk forward (leaving the vacuum end of the hose on the floor behind me) until I reach the sink, you'll be able to see the water in the hose move forward in front of you then when I reach the sink I disconnect leaving the connection part in the sink and repeat the whole process again. I hope that made some sort of sense :D

fishmommie, I tried that with the python and it just doesn't empty very well, next time I may give the aqueon changer a try :D
    Well actually, it's an Aqueon that I am using. I thought "Python" was a generic term to classify the device, didn't realize it was a brand :P

With the Aqueon I can get 85-90% of the water out using fishmommie and goes to 11's method, but that last 15% is what I'm struggling with. Judi, I tried something similar to your method, but I didn't uncoil the entire thing. Since I bought the 50 foot one, things could get a bit "tangled" if you know what I mean. I may just deal with having a little water left in the line, it's really not a big deal I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something :P

By the way, update on the tank. Nitrite levels are still remaining steady, I have not been able to get them to drop below 0.25 ppm, but again, ALL of my fish (and I've got a good variety in there) have been just fine. Maybe they are just super hardy fish!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    With the Aqueon I can get 85-90% of the water out using fishmommie and goes to 11's method, but that last 15% is what I'm struggling with.
    I wouldn't worry about any small amount of water still in the hose. Remember, the next time you use it will be to suck water out of the tank, so any water that might remain will never be returned to you tank.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thought I'd post a picture of my tank since you all have helped me out so much with it! It still needs a lot of work, all of these decorations came with the tank and I'm planning on doing a COMPLETE overhaul, with the help of some professionals who have access to driftwood from SeaWorld. For now however, this is what it looks like :)

IMG_1002.JPG

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's a nice size tank and a really nice looking stand. Also like your decorating outside and around the tank.
    Will be eager to see the overhaul and agree it needs it :o) starting with the blue gravel if you're going for a more natural looking tank. Driftwood will look great in there and give it a natural setting. Also if you plan to keep the pleco he needs driftwood as the nutrients he gets from sucking on the wood is a big part of his diet. If you add some nerites or apple snails, they'll love the driftwood too.
    Have fun!
    Last edited by fishmommie; 05-03-2013 at 05:22 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You read my mind! The plan is to start with the substrate, switching to lighter aquarium sand. Then I'll add the large driftwood, some riverstones, a new backdrop (most likely just black) and some natural looking (but still fake :P) plants! I'll top it all off with a new light, as that one is a bit too bright.

I will definitely post pictures as things progress! I'll probably start a new thread for posting progress pictures, as this one has seen some mileage lol.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you can't start another thread if it is the same topic as another one. this topic is about cycling problems. keep it about cycling problems.
    start another one if it is about you over hauling your tank