· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you all for your advice :) I am doing a 75% water change tonight. Should I be adding API Stress Zyme (beneficial bacteria) during these 50-75% water changes?

Default Yvw

0 Not allowed!
    Can't help there, Never used it .

You DO need to be conditioning your water with something if it contains chloromines or chlorine from the treatment plant as both are lethal to BB.

Prime is my water conditioner of choice.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! Yea, I use API water conditioner on all water changes and I have a stress reducer. Thank you all so much for your quick responses. All the fish are acting normal except the white molly. She's got a bloated belly and swims like she's carrying something. My wife thinks she's pregnant.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so I just did a 65% water change and since I don't have access to the API master kit, I tested again with the strips.

The readings were still not desirable... Nitrite at 5ppm and Nitrate at 40ppm. I will be purchasing the "drops" to test my water, but for the time being I'm not sure what to do :/

To double check the strips, I ran them on tap water, which showed 0 Nitrate and Nitrite, as expected. Should I maybe do another water change?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, since my BB is not able to keep up, how long will it take to properly cycle? Should I get rid of some of the fish (take them back to the store)? I just don't know if I have the time to be doing a 75% water change every single day... that's what it sounds like I may have to do :(

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tychondrias View Post
    Should I maybe do another water change?
    Yes, If that TrIte test is accurate you have 20 times the level of TrItes suggested for cycling with fish. [Roughly .25ppm]
    Quote Originally Posted by tychondrias View Post
    Also, since my BB is not able to keep up, how long will it take to properly cycle?
    Taking them back IS your best option because cycling with fish can take 4 - 5 - or 6 weeks before your BB builds to a level that will accommodate your bio-load.

It takes so long because it is a balancing act where you keep your TrItes present at a level that feeds/grows your BB - but not at a level that's detrimental to your stock.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you can't do enough water changes daily to get your nitrites down to .25, then I agree, your best bet is to return the fish as soon as possible. Frankly, I'm amazed they are still alive with nitrite levels that high.

Also, suggest that you read the stickies on cycling with fish vs fishless cycling in the beginners section so you'll get an idea for what you're dealing with.
    Good luck
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Took another reading this morning before leaving for work. The Nitrate and Nitrite levels are still high, but Ammonia is 0. Last night I added some Stress Zyme BB to hopefully help fight off some of the toxins.

So far none of the fish are showing any abnormal signs, not even the Molly that was acting funny yesterday. I'm sure it's only a matter of time, but still strange that they're all doing okay. The plan was to try and buy something to lower these levels, and if all else fails by the middle of this week, I will start taking fish back as suggested. Again, strange that none of them are showing any signs of poisoning.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing lowers the levels but water changes - big ones.
    Any product you buy merely reduces some of the toxic effects and is not a fix.
    Am still concerned that what you are using to test is not accurate.
    Do you have an API liquid test kit? or are you using test strips?
    Either way, I would not take any chances. Again ONLY water changes are going to lower those nitrites and nitrates to non toxic levels. nitrites .25 and nitrates 20 are what you're shooting for while the tank cycles. Once you reach 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and you have nitrates, your tank is cycle. Then your goal is weekly water changes of around 50% to keep the nitrates at 20 or less.

Stress Zime BB is not going to cycle the tank. Only time and water changes will do that as your beneficial bacteria grow.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks fishmommie for the advice and quick responses. My only question is, when doing such large water changes, aren't you inevitably removing many of those BB that are trying to grow?