· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Quick filter question (33 US gallon)

0 Not allowed!
    Evening folks,

Before I begin a fishless cycle in a new tank (Fluval Roma 125), I'd like to ensure that the filtering system I have in place is sufficient enough for my fish. I'm planning on housing 2 three month old Black Moor Goldfish.

A Fluval U3 internal filter came with the aquarium and is recommended for use up to 40 gallon, however I believe Black Moors are very "dirty" fish in general and I'm wondering whether to invest in an additional Fluval U3 or purchase a U4 which are good up to 65 gallon. I'm planning on upgrading the tank in the future, so a U4 would be ideal but I don't want to overwhelm the fish in the current setup. The U4 looks to be a large unit and I'd rather not use up much needed space, having said that the water quality and the health of the fish are far more important.

Many thanks for your input.

0 Not allowed!
    PAir of U3s would allow you to stagger the cleaning. Where are you located?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm located in England.

0 Not allowed!
    My recommendation - if you are planning to upgrade your tank anyway, I would do that 1st before cycling. A 33gal tank is not anywhere large enough for those 2 fish as they ARE messy and will grow quite large.

Yes, the fish are small now, but if kept in a tank that isn't large enough for them, they might end up not growing to potential size.

People who keep goldfish in smaller tanks often have water quality problems due to the waste production of them. Just my 2 cents.

If you want to keep that tank for now anyway, I would put fish in that don't grow quite so large and save the goldfish for your tank upgrade.

When it comes to filtration, it is recommended to get enough filtration for double the size of the tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    My recommendation - if you are planning to upgrade your tank anyway, I would do that 1st before cycling. A 33gal tank is not anywhere large enough for those 2 fish as they ARE messy and will grow quite large.

Yes, the fish are small now, but if kept in a tank that isn't large enough for them, they might end up not growing to potential size.

People who keep goldfish in smaller tanks often have water quality problems due to the waste production of them. Just my 2 cents.

If you want to keep that tank for now anyway, I would put fish in that don't grow quite so large and save the goldfish for your tank upgrade.

When it comes to filtration, it is recommended to get enough filtration for double the size of the tank.
    Thanks for the reply.

The tank is a temporary measure until we move into our larger home, the advice I've received elsewhere has lead me to believe a 33 gallon would be sufficient for them until I'm able to provide something more permanent. I'll look into purchasing the U4 as it will come in handy with the new tank.

0 Not allowed!
    I take it you already own these fish?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I take it you already own these fish?
    Yes, I already own the fish.

0 Not allowed!
    So they are in a much smaller tank now and you are looking to give them more space, albeit temporarily until you have space for something bigger?

There are many forum members here who will recommend they go into a pond - sometimes people with the best intentions to upgrade never get around to it and their fish are stuck in something too small - I don't mean to imply that is your situation - just saying.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So they are in a much smaller tank now and you are looking to give them more space, albeit temporarily until you have space for something bigger?
    That's correct!

I originally "rescued" a bunch of goldfish from a home that I was renovating, they simply weren't wanted and in a tiny bowl. Been a complete beginner I embarked on some much needed research and discovered the tank I had put them in was severely overstocked (20 gal). I managed to re-home the commons into a large garden pond. However I was advised that fancy's don't do too well in ponds, especially homed with much larger, quicker fish.

After getting more advice, I purchased another Black Moor to keep the remaining Moor company, I also purchased the Fluval 125L aquarium in which to house them until we move home at the end of this year, with the intention of purchasing at the very least a 50 gallon.

I was pretty much unintentionally thrust into the world of fish keeping (albeit gladly), I've received some very different opinions, advice and overall direction.

0 Not allowed!
    Many people who post here have "inherited" or "rescue" fish in tanks that are inappropriate for them.

I believe that the advice you receive here is invaluable because of the # of combined years of experience - none of us get paid for this. We will tell you that it's not the best idea to take advice from petstore employees unless that person has experience with their own tanks - many will tell you that certain fish are compatible with each other when they really aren't, or are appropriate for a smaller tank if that's all you can afford.

Sometimes, if someone is keeping a potentially huge fish in a really small tank, we will advise "rehoming" the fish so it doesn't suffer in too small of a home. I believe you want to do the right thing by these fish - I'm not sure how quickly they grow and how fast they will outgrow that tank before you get to move them into a bigger one.