· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After doing some looking around, it seems like 55w might be a strange wattage. I've found a ton of 65w bulbs at reasonable prices. And I've also found a lot of sites that say the 55w and 65w are interchangeable. True or not?

Would any of these work:
    http://www.marinedepot.com/65W_6700K...PC1651-vi.html

http://www.aquariumguys.com/pure-aqu...-65w-22in.html

Thoughts?
    First 29g Tank: In process

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchfoot55 View Post
    I'd call and ask the retailer, Its worth a shot.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you'd have to do what Goes to 11! says.

most of the time, the manufacturers put those recommendations on there because the ballast in the light can only handle certain wattages of lights-just like your household lamp only supports certain bulbs. it's not because of what fits, its because of what it can support before overheating/causing issues.

you can always put less and be safe, but more could/could not work.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I could downgrade to like a 36w and it would be okay? I was wondering about that.

My biggest question at this point is if I were to switch up to a 6700k bulb, would this light setup work to grow plants, or would it still only really cause algae explosions? I rather not invest all the money into new bulbs and a case if its a lost cause.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchfoot55 View Post
    My biggest question at this point is if I were to switch up to a 6700k bulb, would this light setup work to grow plants, or would it still only really cause algae explosions? I rather not invest all the money into new bulbs and a case if its a lost cause.
    6700k IS the spectrum of daylight at noon at sea level [Ok - I didn't actually look it up again and it might be 6500K but meh - either way...].

It's what you want and more importantly what the plants require, 10000 is do-able [I have used a mix of 10 & 6700 with minimal issues] but 6700 is optimal. The higher spectrum lighting you have now is more appropriate for a reef and [The blue one especially] IS well within the spectrum algae thrive on.

Hope that clears it up.

IMO - It's not in your best interest to use this bulb, This is all covered in the link I posted as well.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goes to 11! View Post
    6700k IS the spectrum of daylight at noon at sea level [Ok - I didn't actually look it up again and it might be 6500K but meh - either way...].

It's what you want and more importantly what the plants require, 10000 is do-able [I have used a mix of 10 & 6700 with minimal issues] but 6700 is optimal. The higher spectrum lighting you have now is more appropriate for a reef and [The blue one especially] IS well within the spectrum algae thrive on.

Hope that clears it up.

IMO - It's not in your best interest to use this bulb, This is all covered in the link I posted as well.
    Got it. I promise I did try to read the article in the link, but I kept getting a little lost and confused. I'll attempt to re-read.

At this point I'm wondering how wise it would be to just head in a whole new direction and just consider this purchase a $10 investment into learning the trade. Not giving up yet, but if something else comes up, I would consider it.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    plant's are as complicated or easy as you'd like. it just depends on what you want to grow.

that's why I always say walk before you run. lol

run a low light set up with low light plants, add in root tabs once every 3ish months and you'll have slow happy growth. easy peasy and nothing to worry about with excess algae, co2, ferts and balancing that all out.
    Goes to 11! has a great tank with that exact mindset.

i'll be attempting that this weekend when I pick up some vals and anubias w/ an LED light. I want to plant it and let it be. I don't want/need rapid growth. it'll get there in due time.