· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Basic Lighting Questions

0 Not allowed!
    I've nearly got all the parts to finally get my 20g up and going, but have still yet to pull the trigger on lighting. Either it's just out of budget, or someone on Craigslist snaps it up right before I do, and I lose out on a good and cost effective hood/light bar. However, I've been doing a little more research and have run into a couple of questions that I just can't seem to find answers to. As with most of my inquiries, I'm sure the answers are out there in plain sight...I just have knack for completely overlooking them in my search.

In all of my reading I've discovered planted tanks need anywhere between 1-5 (or more?) watts/gallon, depending on what you want to have planted. What I'm confused about is where that wattage is coming from? I was lucky enough to get a free light strip in a box of goodies off craigslist and the label on the back of the strip says 30 watts. That would seem to meet at least some lighting requirements on low light plants for a 20g. BUT, most of the 24" light strips I've been finding say 17 watts (or similar) on their labels.

Today at my LFS I saw all sorts of lights rated at 30+ watts. Now, this could seem like an idiotic question to some, but would those lights just not work in a light strip that is rated (or at least labeled on the back) at 17 watts? OR, so long as the light size (length and T-sizing) are the same, the wattage and K-value don't matter?

I'm all sorts of backwards on this one. And if you can make it through my rambling, then my hat is off to you. I just don't want to keep passing on light strips or hoods that would work.
    First 29g Tank: In process

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchfoot55 View Post

Today at my LFS I saw all sorts of lights rated at 30+ watts. Now, this could seem like an idiotic question to some, but would those lights just not work in a light strip that is rated (or at least labeled on the back) at 17 watts?
    They would not work, Unless you are overdriving a bulb [A different issue I won't go into here]. The ballast [The fixtures power supply] and the bulb must match.

This link is not specifically related to your question but is a solid [& LENGTHY - You have been warned :-P] overview of aquarium lighting. It is best digested in chunks, Repeatedly, Over time. It will greatly increase your understanding of lighting an aquarium.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts...._lighting.html

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the quick response! I figured they wouldn't be compatible. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask just in case, lol. Thanks for think link too. I'll favorite it and spend the next couple days reading through it.

0 Not allowed!
    To simplify things. With a 20 gallon ideally you'd want twin T8 or T5 tubes that run (almost) the enitre length of the tank./

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for simplifying TD! That makes sense.

I found this light on Craigslist today for 10 bucks. (description only):

” Good quality 55 watt fluorescent light with electronic ballast for high efficiency, long life, and no noise. Smart Lite 50/50 bulb 21" long. One half side is white and other side is blue. Ideal for all saltwater, reef & freshwater aquariums. Also beneficial for reptiles. Currently has a 6700K bulb. 10000k bulbs are also available at pet stores or online.”

Worth it? Good setup? It looks like a DIY ballast and light strip. I know it's not the full 24” my tank is, but would the 21” work?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I went ahead and just got the above mentioned light. I figured for $10 it was worth it.

It's a dual T5 light, 6700K with one bulb white and the other blue. Not sure if it'll be overkill or make my tank look weird? I'll build a little case for it in the next week too.

0 Not allowed!
    It's a dual T5 light, 6700K with one bulb white and the other blue. Not sure if it'll be overkill or make my tank look weird? I'll build a little case for it in the next week too.
    It's not a T5 it's a 'CFL' AKA Compact fluorescent light [Before those little spiral ones came along THIS was a CFL lol]

You have a 50/50 bulb but you should get a 6700K bulb for plants. [They are still out there but you may have to dig a bit as these are no longer cutting edge technology lol]. You need to note if you have the 'straight pin' or 'square pin' type bulb when shopping for a new bulb btw.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goes to 11! View Post
    It's not a T5 it's a 'CFL' AKA Compact fluorescent light [Before those little spiral ones came along THIS was a CFL lol]

You have a 50/50 bulb but you should get a 6700K bulb for plants. [They are still out there but you may have to dig a bit as these are no longer cutting edge technology lol]. You need to note if you have the 'straight pin' or 'square pin' type bulb when shopping for a new bulb btw.
    Oh...got it. So would the 50/50 bulb not work at all? Or would it be sufficient for now, but something I'd need to upgrade in the future?

Would something like this work:http://www.coralreefsupply.com/index...ail&detail=916 or is that what I already have?

0 Not allowed!
    Oh...got it. So would the 50/50 bulb not work at all? Or would it be sufficient for now, but something I'd need to upgrade in the future?
    The 50/50 is likely to give you an algae farm IMO, It's a spectrum that approaches being more appropriate for algae than for plants. If it was just 10K I'd say you could use it. I have used 10K bulbs with minimal algae issues.
    Would something like this work:http://www.coralreefsupply.com/index...ail&detail=916 or is that what I already have?
    That is DEF not what you have [It's 6700K and you are currently sporting the 50/50 bulb]. The real question is did you take the bulb out of yours and look to see if you have a 'straight pin' or 'square pin' bulb? If yours is square the pictured one IS what you want. :-D

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do have the square pin configuration, not straight. But now I'm concerned that no matter what direction I head with this it'll be a lost cause. At 55w, am I just headed to an algae nightmare? Or of I switch to the 6700k or 10k would I be in the clear?