· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our first tank.

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK the petstore is Elmer's Aquarium in Monroeville PA. If they know anything then maybe they would be well known. I was told they are the only good place to go around here. Anyway the Fiance was rushing to put fish in. I would not buy a fish until I know what I'm doing. They didn't say a snail would balance the tank but said that I should have something in there better than nothing. Our tap water has very high chlorine and chloramine in it (at least thats what Elmer's said). I did not buy a ph adjuster, I bought the API ph test kit. They didn't have any ammonia testers at petsmart but I plan on buying the rest of the API test kits (petsmart is way cheaper than Elmer's).

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadNBeth86 View Post
    OK the petstore is Elmer's Aquarium in Monroeville PA. If they know anything then maybe they would be well known. I was told they are the only good place to go around here. Anyway the Fiance was rushing to put fish in. I would not buy a fish until I know what I'm doing. They didn't say a snail would balance the tank but said that I should have something in there better than nothing. Our tap water has very high chlorine and chloramine in it (at least thats what Elmer's said). I did not buy a ph adjuster, I bought the API ph test kit. They didn't have any ammonia testers at petsmart but I plan on buying the rest of the API test kits (petsmart is way cheaper than Elmer's).
    I bet you feel like you've been bombarded! Trust me, everyone here only wants to help. Many of us have been where you are, relying on our LFS to tell us the correct info then ending up with a mess and being thankful we found this forum. We aren't here to make money - your LFS is, it's just a fact.
    I did EVERYTHING wrong until I found this forum. We merely want to save you that trouble and save your fish.
    Regardless of your high chlorine or chlorimine, Seachams Prime (and frankly any good quality water conditioner) will take care of it. You don't need anything else. No salt, no stress zime, no bacterial boosters -- just Prime and lots of water changes and your API master test kit. Don't worry about the PH. Don't try to adjust it. Most fish will adjust and it will bounce around a lot during a cycle.

If you have a chance to, reread my earlier post, 2nd option since it sounds like you're keeping the fish. It's the short version of how you can cycle your tank.
    any more questions, we are all here to help.
    again, good luck!
    Last edited by fishmommie; 05-02-2013 at 12:23 AM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've finally been able to get a picture of the algae eater. Here ya go: