· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Our first tank.

Hybrid View

1. Red face Our first tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Hello there. This is my Fiance and I's first fish tank.

We are total beginners, but my mother has a tank. This is a 35 gallon tank, with water heater, waterfall pump (is that what its called?), the under the gravel type of filter with 2 pumps hooked up to it. We have 25lbs of black gravel (clearance at walmart @ 2.00 per 5lb bag) and also 5-6 bags of the multicolor fluorescent gravel which I absolutely love as I didn't know it even existed.

We got the tank from a friend what has since gotten a bigger tank. The back was mirrored but had some peeling off. We got the tank, cleaned it very well with water only. Decided to trash the gravel and start fresh. I thought "well if the mirror is peeling why don't we just peel it the whole way off". Tried it, failed. Then found out that if we use a razor it worked. Then we removed the copper/silver with muriatic acid. Perfectly clear glass now. We made sure not to get any on the glue. Again cleaned the tank with water only/sponge. It came with 2 lights for the hood. The correct size one had a worn out switch. The tiny edison base one I took the switch from and replaced the switch in the correct light. The power strip which has a breaker in it needed a new power cord and cleaned up. Replaced the cord (soldered inside w/shrink just like the switch). I mean why buy a new power strip just because of a bad cord..

We then took it home, did the gravel, filled it up with tap water (Friday Night we filled it). NO fish yet. Then we took a water sample to the best local pet shop Saturday. pH of 7.2 they said was good, Ammonia level 1.0. We were told not to put any fish in but then had to put "Novaqua water conditioner" in, half a bottle. And then shortly after add a bottle of the Tetra Safe Start. They said we could bring the sample back shortly after that so we let it settle about an hour. Went back. Ammonia level still the same. But the lady at the store gave us a "Nerite Snail" to help balance the tank a little quicker, and to bring a new sample back after 3 days.

Decided to get a Goldfish because we wouldn't be able to go back until at least the weekend and spent all this time preparing - lol. We also had an algae eater of some kind that we had stored in my mother's fish tank temporarily. We put the snail, algae eater and goldfish in our new tank. (I think it was called a Fancy tail or something?) We had also put in the aquarium salt for freshwater tanks before putting the fish in.

Here's the goldfish. I named it Hope for I hope it is going to be okay in here:

Currently the goldfish is living at 72 degrees, lots of bubbles for him. He swims around and seems healthy. No bad signs but he likes to hang out in the one corner mostly. When we can't see him thats where he usually is. Algae eater is always hiding under the decoration at the left. I had been reading at random sites on google that goldfish like colder like pretty much under 70. We want a tropical community tank, and have heard bad about mixing tropical with this goldfish. This is where I am lost. HELP!

Edit: Just remembered - friday night we added a chemical from walmart that only removes chlorine and not chloramine (didn't know about the chloramine at the time).
    Last edited by ChadNBeth86; 04-28-2013 at 07:12 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you tank is not cycled yet. There is a link below in my sig to another thread here that explains how to cycle a tank with fish. You'll need to get a good test kit and start testing you water daily for a while and change water to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels at or below 0.25 ppm

I would also suggest using a product called Prime made by Seachem. It is a very good quality dechlorinater that handle both chlorine and chloramines.

Do you know what type of goldfish you have ? Most of them can outgrow a 35 gallon tank
    Last edited by Cliff; 04-28-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    For one, don't listen to pet store employees. While the are a few who know their stuff and want to help, most either have no clue or want to sell you stuff.

The algae eater makes me wary. Algae eaters often are sold to "clean up" the tank. They may help with a bit of algae but in reality, it is the aquarist who is supposed to clean up. A species that most beginners are told to get is the common plecostomus. Who knew they grew to over a foot. Could you take a picture of your algae eater?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadNBeth86 View Post
    Hello there. This is my Fiance and I's first fish tank.
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ps8b5ff906.jpg

We then took it home, did the gravel, filled it up with tap water (Friday Night we filled it). NO fish yet. Then we took a water sample to the best local pet shop Saturday. pH of 7.2 they said was good, Ammonia level 1.0.

For your own benefit, you should really get a liquid test kit of your own so you don't need to keep bringing water samples back to the store. Many stores permit up to 1.0 ammonia as OK when it isn't. Since your tank is cycling, a test kit will allow you to keep your ammonia at .25, changing the water using water conditioner every time the ammonia goes above that.
    We were told not to put any fish in but then had to put "Novaqua water conditioner" in, half a bottle. And then shortly after add a bottle of the Tetra Safe Start. They said we could bring the sample back shortly after that so we let it settle about an hour. Went back. Ammonia level still the same. But the lady at the store gave us a "Nerite Snail" to help balance the tank a little quicker, and to bring a new sample back after 3 days.

Snails don't "balance" a tank - they simply live in the tank and eat leftover food - people buy them because they like the look of them. Agree with above post regarding taking the advice of store employees - they are supposed to sell you fish & aquarium products.

Decided to get a Goldfish because we wouldn't be able to go back until at least the weekend and spent all this time preparing - lol. We also had an algae eater of some kind that we had stored in my mother's fish tank temporarily. We put the snail, algae eater and goldfish in our new tank. (I think it was called a Fancy tail or something?) We had also put in the aquarium salt for freshwater tanks before putting the fish in.

Although it is debated whether salt is helpful in a freshwater tank, most forum members dont' use it at all unless trying to treat a specific illness which you don't need to worry about right now.

Here's the goldfish. I named it Hope for I hope it is going to be okay in here:
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ps8bf15cb0.jpg

Currently the goldfish is living at 72 degrees, lots of bubbles for him. He swims around and seems healthy. No bad signs but he likes to hang out in the one corner mostly. When we can't see him thats where he usually is. Algae eater is always hiding under the decoration at the left. I had been reading at random sites on google that goldfish like colder like pretty much under 70. We want a tropical community tank, and have heard bad about mixing tropical with this goldfish. This is where I am lost. HELP!

Yes, goldfish like it cooler - they can live in a wide range of temps, but it's not advised to keep goldfish in the same tank as tropicals which thrive at higher temps like 76-80. Considering you just added this fish to the tank, it's possible it's still getting used to its new surroundings. Your best bet until you can check the water yourself is to change 50% of the water a few times a week until you know what you ammonia level is because ammonia can stress the fish out.

Edit: Just remembered - friday night we added a chemical from walmart that only removes chlorine and not chloramine (didn't know about the chloramine at the time).
    Please see my responses above
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK Ammonia levels are fine, on Sunday we got a constant ammonia alert by seachem. Also bought a ph tester. So we added some new fish. 4 Zebra Danios, Black Molly, Silver Molly, 2 Red Wag Platys - these are so cool, and 2 white clouds.

0 Not allowed!
    there is supposed to be no ammonia in the water. EVER
    your are not cycled and probably don't know what it means.
    so your going to have to cycle with fish now. it is hard.
    here is a sticky about it http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492.
    you will need to buy a master test kit. to cycle. don't buy strips they are unaccurate.
    and stop listening to the pet store. almost none of them know anything about fish.
    and goldfish are not suppose to be with tropical fish

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Often as first time aquarists, we rush into things (speaking from experience here) and rely on people at the fish store to help us - as you have done.
    Unfortunately, however, this often leads to disaster - which is where you're heading - sorry
    If you want to keep your fish alive and have a successful experience, you need to do one of 2 things at this point:
    1) return all the fish as soon as possible then complete a fishless cycle on your tank (see the beginners sections stickie on fishless cycling). then in 3 - 4 weeks when your tank is cycled, you can stock.

2) keep the fish and cycle the tank with them in it. If this is your choice, then get an API master liquid water test kit and test the water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates every morning. Any morning that Ammonia and or nitrites exceed .25 ppm, do an immediate 50 - 75% water change, depending on how high the readings are. both ammonia and nitrites above .25 are toxic to your fish and if they are kept in water with readings above those levels they will eventually become ill and die. You also want to keep nitrates under .20ppm. Water changes ,again will correct that issue. You may have to do daily water changes for a while to keep levels under control. Do not assume that if you have good readings one day that they will be good the next. Until you consistently get readings of 0 ammonia and nitrites and less than 20 ppm nitrates, your tank is not cycled.
    Once you achieve 0/0/<20 you can switch to weekly water changes of 50%. This can take up to 3 months.

Note: Seachams Prime is the only product you need to cycle with fish and for ongoing water conditioning.
    Also of note: You are trying to grow beneficial bacteria to keep the water safe. This BB is grown in your filter and filter media, not in the water. So if you cycle with fish, do NOT change your filter media. Do not clean your filter media. Wait until your tank achieves 0/0/20 readings before cleaning anything. And then, only clean your filter media in old tank water that you've removed during a water change. If you clean it in tap water, you will kill all of the BB you have worked so hard to grow and you will have to start cycling all over again. continue to use the same filter media you started with. Do NOT replace it as the manufacturer suggests. Most of us use the same media for years

Hope these tips are helpful, but again, do read the cycling stickies and the free e-book provided on the site before you decide what way to go .
    Last edited by fishmommie; 05-01-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadNBeth86 View Post
    OK Ammonia levels are fine, on Sunday we got a constant ammonia alert by seachem. Also bought a ph tester. So we added some new fish. 4 Zebra Danios, Black Molly, Silver Molly, 2 Red Wag Platys - these are so cool, and 2 white clouds.
    You don't need an ammonia alert - testing your water yourself with a liquid ammonia tester will tell you what your ammonia level is.

When you say your ammonia level is fine - what does that mean? What exactly is the level? It will range anywhere from 0ppm all the way up to 4.0ppm - with fish in the tank, you want it to be no higher than .25ppm. I hope you are aware that you will need to change your water whenever the ammonia goes over .25 which means using a siphon to remove water and replace it, adding dechlorinator each time.

Also, until you read about cycling and do what is needed to grow bacteria, I would advise you to not add anymore fish to the tank.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ++ to Imma24. You need to monitor the water quality with the API liquid water test kit. The alerts are not reliable. Sorry
    Last edited by fishmommie; 05-01-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    You did not need the ammonia alert OR the pH adjuster. This is a common goldfish you have. They grow to one foot and belong in ponds. Goldfish are also cold water fish and the other fish you bought are warm water fish.

A snail will balance the tank? Not hardly! Get your advise here, not from the store!

Goldfish chart in my signature.