· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Question Questions re tank temp increase in summer

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, my first question is - when does a member go from posting on the beginner aquarium forum to the general aquarium forum? Based on a certain time frame, comfort level ???

Main question - with the hot weather here the last 2 days, my tank temp rose from 77.2 to 79.7, an increase of 2.5 deg. My house A/C was on (set at 82 deg). Even with the cool night last night (house this morning was 67 deg), my tank was still at 78.5 this morning (proof that large tank parameters change slowly). Is the temporary 2.5 deg increase a problem? If so, I will have to lower my thermostat so my tank doesn't heat up based on the room temp.

Second question - with the higher tank temp, my fish are REALLY active. They are normally active, but they seemed happier with the higher temp. Is 77 deg too low for the species I keep? I tried for a middle of the road temp that encompassed all the species. Do you think I should raise it to 78-79 - isn't that too high for the scissortails and danios?

Recommended temps from seriouslyfish:

Gold Pristella Tetras 71.6 - 82.4
    Scissortail Rasboras 73 - 77
    Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish 73 - 82
    Glowlight Tetras 75 - 82
    Zebra Danios and Long-finned Zebra Danios 64.4 - 77
    Calico Bristlenose Plecos 69.8 - 78.8

Last edited by gronlaura; 05-02-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, RCS, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Actually, my first question is - when does a member go from posting on the beginner aquarium forum to the general aquarium forum? Based on a certain time frame, comfort level ??? I still post in beginners section, think it depends on the type of question

Main question - with the hot weather here the last 2 days, my tank temp rose from 77.2 to 79.7, an increase of 2.5 deg. My house A/C was on (set at 82 deg). Even with the cool night last night (house this morning was 67 deg), my tank was still at 78.5 this morning (proof that large tank parameters change slowly). Is this a problem? If so, I will have to lower my thermostat so my tank doesn't heat up based on the room temp.
    think the tank should insulate it a bit better, what do you have for covers on it. I don't think the temp swing is terrible, but a lot of up down might cause issues
    See answers in red
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

Awards Showcase

A toast to your next year! - imma24 Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 
    For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Main question - with the hot weather here the last 2 days, my tank temp rose from 77.2 to 79.7, an increase of 2.5 deg. My house A/C was on (set at 82 deg). Even with the cool night last night (house this morning was 67 deg), my tank was still at 78.5 this morning (proof that large tank parameters change slowly). Is this a problem? If so, I will have to lower my thermostat so my tank doesn't heat up based on the room temp.
    think the tank should insulate it a bit better, what do you have for covers on it. I don't think the temp swing is terrible, but a lot of up down might cause issues

See answers in red
    I have the glass versa tops (never have evaporation) and a wood canopy. It's against an inside wall in my living room (with a vaulted ceiling) which faces south and west.
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, RCS, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to main question answer. My temps swing 2-3 degrees through out the day during summer months. Typically my water is set for 78 degrees.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 6 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, 2 Silver Hatchet's, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, 2 assassin snails.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First Question - I think the beginners section and, if you keep rarer fish, the subsections like "Predators" to be the only useful sections of the forum. The rest is filled with commonly agreed upon bad advice and posters on a superiority trip that "just want to help."

Main Question - a little variation in temp is no big deal. The species in the wild experiences far greater shifts on a daily basis. We actually create incredibly stable conditions, relatively. The issue more or less revolves around sudden shifts... rapid increases or decreases in temp of many degrees.

Second Question - More of a third question. As temperatures increase, the metabolism of animals increases... they do become more lively. Please note... the same fish, when kept only a few degrees warmer, consume a great deal more food. It all has to do with that metabolism! However, warmer water supports less oxygen than cooler water. It's all a fine balance.

Unfortunately, no two fish are exactly the same. Temp ranges for fish are more for people to berate you in hindsight than for any real value. In fact, in some cases, fish that are bred in farms and fish collected wild can live in totally different temp ranges... some that barely even overlap!

The key is to watch the fish themselves. If they are struggling, gasping... it's probably too late, and too warm. If your active fish start becoming sluggish, that's when you still have time cool them off a bit. If they start losing color or becoming very sluggish... particularly when they swim nearly motionless... huddled to the ground... they are usually too cold.
    Looks about 40 Gallon Tank
    Betta, Buenos Aires Tetra, Neon Tetra, Harlequin Rasbora, and Otocinclus
    Wisteria, Amazon Sword, Java Fern, and my unstoppable Trumpet Snail Army

Looks about 75 Gallon Tank
    Wet and Empty; thinking Scalare, Corydoras, Otocinclus

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks - I will continue to post in the beginner forum.

Thanks for your replies. Maybe for a few of the species, 77 deg was too low. I was mostly concerned with my scissortails, danios and 2 BNs. My fish actually look happier - even more active (my tank was lively to begin with), really moving around the whole tank. I feed every other day, alternating with omega one color flakes and veggie flakes , then dried bloodworms and daphnia.

I will keep an eye on the tank temp as the summer progresses. If I need to lower my A/C, I will.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moghedan View Post
    Main Question - a little variation in temp is no big deal. The species in the wild experiences far greater shifts on a daily basis. We actually create incredibly stable conditions, relatively. The issue more or less revolves around sudden shifts... rapid increases or decreases in temp of many degrees.

The key is to watch the fish themselves. If they are struggling, gasping... it's probably too late, and too warm. If your active fish start becoming sluggish, that's when you still have time cool them off a bit. If they start losing color or becoming very sluggish... particularly when they swim nearly motionless... huddled to the ground... they are usually too cold.
    Second this exactly.

I think the glass tops help keep a tank warm by limiting the outside air from messing w/ tank temp.
    so in the winter-I use the glass tops to help keep warm.

but in the summer, since I keep a house warm (like you) I take the glass top off to get more air to circulate.
    the negative of that is-more evaporation, but it doesn't bother me much.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    Second this exactly.

I think the glass tops help keep a tank warm by limiting the outside air from messing w/ tank temp.
    so in the winter-I use the glass tops to help keep warm.

but in the summer, since I keep a house warm (like you) I take the glass top off to get more air to circulate.
    the negative of that is-more evaporation, but it doesn't bother me much.
    That would be great, but I have scissortails who are champion jumpers. I keep my water level quite high for good surface movement and the scissortails (top tank dwellers) would be right there, at the top. When I added my last one yesterday, he jumped from the LFS bag into the 5 quart pail I use for drip acclimation. I had to gently, but quickly add the water from the bag. Then when I was ready to transfer to the QT, he jumped from the pail onto the floor! The pail was only half full. After 4 days, he was so stressed in the QT, I put him in the 75 gal. He is now very happy schooling with the other 5 scissortails!

The tank temp in summer was also the reason I went with the single bright LED fixture, as it puts out no heat at all on the tank side and almost no heat on the top of the fixture. My living room temp is usually higher than 77 deg, so I don't know if removing the glass tops would help. I also have a ceiling fan just off to the side of where the tank is. I run it nonstop from April thru October. I was concerned that it would cause a draft - guess I don't have to worry about that!
    Last edited by gronlaura; 05-02-2013 at 09:53 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    A bit off topic, sorry if I offend...

It gets "hot" in Illinois?...the weather, that is?....LOL...come visit me in southeast Texas sometime, maybe July or August ...we'll compare what WE call "hot" to what YOU call "hot"....

LOL just kidding gronlaura, but could not resist...I had no idea that residents of Illinois even OWNED A/C...or needed it...
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 05-03-2013 at 12:08 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Fish can tolerate swings in the temp of around 4F +/- The improtant thing is the maximum temp doesn't get too hot, or the temp swings do not happen in a short period of time

Increased temp can reduce the oxygen levels in the water so make sure there is good water movement at the surface
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]