· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default ID help on catfish

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, just 'inherited' 29 gal tank with variety of fish in it. Wondering what our cool catfish is.
    So we know whether to get him friends and who he won't grow to eat... Making rehoming decisions...

The past owner guessed pictus but does that tell me how big he'll get? And he doesn't have the spots all the pics show... Could he be pimelodus maculatus?
    Thanks for the help! He is beautiful silvery,very long whiskers.

We will be moving him to a 55 gal once it is stable. And wondering if he'd be okay to stay with the giant pleco( will be posting to I'd that too) he came with? There is also a shabunkin(will be rehomed), african dwarf frog, and betta with him too. I was thinking to keep the betta and frog separate from him would be better?

If he is a pictus, have I read correctly here to 1) get him at least two more of his kind, and 2) that Zebra danios, mollies, pleco, and platys will be okay with them. The prior owners got him last aug and say he's doubled in size. Thanks so much for the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    I'ts definitely a pimelodus species. Because it's so badly kept on boulder sized gravel it's rather pale and difficult to identify. Pimelodus care is basically the same and I doubt it will get much bigger than 6 inches.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We will be setting up the new 55 as we wish, would you rec sand or smaller sized gravel? We were amazed he had such long whiskers despite the gravel but he does.

0 Not allowed!
    Planet Catfish is an excellent resource to help identify your fish.
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/

EDIT: No, This was my goof

I saw you had two catfish threads but I think I opened your same thread twice , I was reviewing and noticed they are different.

My bad
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 04-28-2013 at 06:03 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't know I posted the same one twice, did post one for each kind of fish I'm trying to ID, but they are different catfish. Sorry if I goofed.

Red face Oops :-p

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zenjenb View Post
    I didn't know I posted the same one twice, did post one for each kind of fish I'm trying to ID, but they are different catfish. Sorry if I goofed.
    No.. It was me See my edit.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zenjenb View Post
    We will be setting up the new 55 as we wish, would you rec sand or smaller sized gravel? We were amazed he had such long whiskers despite the gravel but he does.
    The long whiskers don't get used for digging really. I'd say anything finer than this is already an improvement. I like sand but a fine well rounded gravel will do.

Planetcatfish has some good information on the species.