· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If you could set-up a fish store…………

0 Not allowed!
    I though this thread might be a fun idea for a thread

If you could start your own fish store, what would you sell ???

For me, it would be a salt water store. One half would more difficult fish and corals, LPS & SPS reef tanks and some FOWLR set-ups. The second half would be easier to keep fish and corals, LPS & softies with some FOWLR tanks as well. At least a few of the display tanks on both sides would be set-up just as you would set-up the aquarium at home with open stands so you could see all the equipment underneath and some of them without sumps. Only equipment sold at the store would be used in these display tanks so you could see how well it works before buying it.

What about you guys ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    My hypothetical fish store would have a massive display tank in front with fully grown oscars, iridescent sharks, redtail catfish and packs and another one with goldfish just to show everyone how big they get.

Oh and I probably would be specializing in all peaceful cichlids as well as cories...

Default If I must... SA Cichlids, Barbs, Microfish, Plants, Small Pleco-esque types and corys

0 Not allowed!
    I'd shop there for sure Cliff, It would be worth the trip .. ... I even know what you should name it..

Yes, The 'Adult fish display' IS a requirement!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    What about you guys ?
    I wouldn't, Self awareness [& two circuit courts ;-P] tells me that I am not cut out for 'customer service'.

I would pay for internet at your store though Cliff so that your less informed customers can google on the spot :-D.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    if i were to set up a LFS shop it would totally be a membership place. of course every one is welcome but members would get discounts, and freebees. members would be asked to either pay a yearly fee or donate a monthly 5 hrs of work. i would sell mostly fresh water fish and keep a catalog of fish i could easily order for my customers. i would also have a cycled media tanks think of a 75g filled a quarter way up with bio media and a constant supply of pure ammonia to keep all the bb alive with a wicked UGF to keep them in a good current. would sell cycled media to normal customers for a profit, but my members would just have to put in what they take out lol.

plants would also be a big topic there, id actually grow as many of the plants i can myself and only order special orders. fish would also be in house bread (for the easier ones.) all the sale tanks would be no smaller than 20 long.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    An assortment of south and central American cichlids catering to enthusiasts.
    Last edited by Aeonflame; 04-28-2013 at 12:31 AM.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I would specialize in rare fish and there would be a sign in the window that said " No Smaugs Allowed". Every day I would enjoy my coffee watching his face pressed up against the window looking in and crying because he can't come in.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    A reef shop specializing in corals, mussels, and snails. Of course there would be some fish as in the goby species, dart fish, crabs, shrimp, starfish, etc. Equipment would be in another room should customers ask kinda thing.
    Large coral tanks with full grown specimens to frags.
    I would definitely have a members program.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    All saltwater fish, with corals. A small room at the entrance with a few display tanks and some comfy chairs. Coffee maker, soft music, and free wifi. I like your idea of the open front tanks.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.

0 Not allowed!
    Not me! Get 'em in and get'em out! I wouldn't want people sitting around on their laptops not buying anything and sucking up all the coffee. :)

I like the way PetsPlus sells their fish tanks. You can order whatever size you want (Aqueon tanks only) and in about 3 days pull your truck up to their loading area and pick it up. They just stock a few of the smaller tanks saving them floor space.

I think a store should have freshwater and saltwater or you're losing half your customers. I'd do the freshwater section but would have to hire a manager to do the saltwater since I don't know anything about it......... and don't want to.

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I know this is supposed to be fun...but after seeing what our local SW store has gone through...all the hard work...

...and then the animal losses, etc.

I wouldn't...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed