· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Buying used, chipped tank.. input needed

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all,

I am looking to get back into the hobby and this will be my first planted tank. I am looking to buy a 150 gallon aquarium off of Craigslist. The tank has some chips in the edge and I was wondering if it would affect the stability of the tank and it's ability to hold water. I am going to reseal the tank prior to adding water. Would appreciate others opinions before I make the two hour trip to look at it.

Thanks!!

0 Not allowed!
    I would pass on this tank and hold out for another not chipped like that. Even a 100 gallon without chips is better than a 150 with.

0 Not allowed!
    I would not risk it. Chips that large could very easy turn into a crack latter on reguardless if you reseal it or not.

I would suggest to keep looking. You will find a great deal on a better tank soon enough
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I appreciate the input. I was afraid of that. I knew it was too good to be true for a 150 gallon and stand for $125... maybe I can talk the roommate into creating a vivarium instead haha.

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I would ask them to drop the price and then replace the chipped pane myself.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can't find any planes of glass that are 72"x28" for under $300.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice to see another Ohioan on here! I guess for me it would depend on where the chips are. I can't really tell from pics but this appears to be a rimless tank? If the chips are only on the bottom and or top edges I would just make a really nice frame for it. Could make a really nice custom stand that encloses everything except the front glass.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello fellow Buckeye! It is not a rimless tank. Could I use plywood or something in place of the glass if it doesn't withstand a stress test?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You could use plywood but I would do it all in a nice hardwood like maple or oak. Really just depends on your comfort and skill level. Speaking for myself I have many years of experience building cabinetry.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    I would pass on this tank and hold out for another not chipped like that. Even a 100 gallon without chips is better than a 150 with.
    + 1

Jeff