· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Medicated plant?

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a new plant for my tank a week ago and I've been losing inverts ever since.

At first it was a few snails but now I'm losing my shrimp too! My crystal was the first to go and I assumed my water just wasnt right for such a temperamental shrimp but now my cherrys are dying as well.

I think the plant I bought must have been treated with a pesticide. I've put carbons into my filter but I'm still losing stuff. I havent seen a single shrimp go near the plant and only the tiny 1-2mm pest ramshorn snails have gone on it. My big red ramshorns and MTS won't touch it.

Should I take it out and count my losses or would any chemical thats on it have come off and be in the water by now? I have a second plant from the same place that I've been rinsing and soaking for a few days and am now soaking in a shrimp safe dechlorinator. Would that be safe to put in or should I do something else to clean it or just throw it away?

Please help as I don't want to lose everything in my tank because of a plant.

0 Not allowed!
    Toss the plants, keep the carbon in and start a week of rigorous water changes while keep your fingers crossed.

Perhaps time for a better source of plants?

0 Not allowed!
    I know of no aquarium plants that would be treated with an pesticide. That's one of the reasons we should never bring in yard driftwood or plants and put it in our tanks. But I can't see why any aquarium plant seller would be using it. Underwater plants just don't get bug infested. What kind of plant is it? Sorry you are losing your shrimp. This is strange.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think its something they use to kill pest snails as they never seem to have any in with there plants and theres never a drop of algae either. I always just thought they kept it really clean but now I'm thinking they just throw in loads of chemicals.

I'll do a water change today. Would it help if I added another carbon to the filter or will one be enough?

0 Not allowed!
    Carbon is only good for a couple of weeks so I would add some fresh carbon and do a water change.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    I know of no aquarium plants that would be treated with an pesticide. That's one of the reasons we should never bring in yard driftwood or plants and put it in our tanks. But I can't see why any aquarium plant seller would be using it. Underwater plants just don't get bug infested. What kind of plant is it? Sorry you are losing your shrimp. This is strange.
    Actually it's not strange. On pretty much all the big forums in the UK, which is where OP is, there's warnings for pesticides on aquatic plants.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The trouble is the LFS never have warnings up in the store so you dont know whos using pesticides and who isnt.

The most annoying thing is a bought inverts from them at the same time as I bought each plant and they never told me it could be a problem due to the chemicals.

I once bought a whole bunch of crystal and cherry shrimp from the same store and they all died with no explanation. The store replaced them all when I complained but the same thing happened with the new shrimp. Its only now that I realise I bought lots of new plants from them at the same time to give the shrimp somewhere to hide and I'm thinking its what theyre putting in to kill the pests that killed all my shrimp too.

For now I've removed my problem plant and done a water change. The shrimp seem more active already (theyd all been hiding and refusing to come out for the last few days). Fingers crossed I'll have sorted the issue and they'll be no more losses tomorrow.

0 Not allowed!
    I've read this somewhere too, I can't remember where though. Something about supplier nurseries using fertilisers and pesticides on their stock. The plants leech the toxins for some time. It doesn't have many adverse effects on fish but can be harmful to inverts. As a precaution I put new plants in my fish tank for a few months before transplanting cuttings to the shrimp tank.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Good idea. Shrimp are after all very sensitive.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I only have the one tank otherwise I'd use your method firefly.

I've removed the plant but I've still lost another two shrimp. I keep doing water changes but I'm not sure if they've all been exposed to it and its too little too late.