· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    In some rural bits yes. There's also parts were the water is so hard you can walk on it but otherwise very pure. And there's some lucky people who get it ph 6.5, extremely soft and with about 6-8ppm of nitrate.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Is higher nitrate levels common around the UK

I have often wondered why algae scrubbers were so popular in the UK, but if it is farly common to have higher nitrates, that certainly could explain the popularity.
    Norfolk country seems to have it rough. We've got the hard water and nitrate mix it would seem. The hard water is pretty notorious for messing with dishwashers and washing machines. First time I've ever heard about the nitrate though. I suppose it's not something you really wonder when you get out of bed in the morning.

After reading that article I'll certainly be passing this information on to a pregnant friend...

0 Not allowed!
    I hate hard water. Had it at my last apartment and my fish tanks, coffee pots, everything, would get covered with lime scale. Couldn't hardly get shampoo to lather when washing my hair and it went from naturally curly to looking like sticks.

Your friend should have no problem because baby formula is supposed to be made with bottled water anyway but it's good you mention it to her so she makes sure to use the bottled water instead of boiling water herself. Perhaps her water is not the same as yours, as well. Could be you are just drawing water from a vein underground that isn't too great at the moment.

This is interesting! Even city water has a problem with nitrates there.
    http://www.cambridge-water.co.uk/customers/nitrates
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 04-28-2013 at 11:25 AM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs View Post
    I hate hard water. Had it at my last apartment and my fish tanks, coffee pots, everything, would get covered with lime scale. Couldn't hardly get shampoo to lather when washing my hair and it went from naturally curly to looking like sticks.

Your friend should have no problem because baby formula is supposed to be made with bottled water anyway but it's good you mention it to her so she makes sure to use the bottled water instead of boiling water herself. Perhaps her water is not the same as yours, as well. Could be you are just drawing water from a vein underground that isn't too great at the moment.

This is interesting! Even city water has a problem with nitrates there.
    http://www.cambridge-water.co.uk/customers/nitrates

I spoke to my Mum last night and asked about it as I know zilch when it comes to child care... Standard practice here is to use cooled boiled water rather than bottled as far as I could tell. I'll nip over at some point and test my friends water, just to be sure. Can't really be too careful there..

According to Anglian water the level of nitrate in the water here is 28.3 on average, highest reading was 34. If those are the levels when it leaves the place then it's no surprise in this farm-oriented area that we're getting such spikes.

Eek! I've never been more sceptical of tap water since I've started fish keeping.
    Last edited by Sligg; 04-28-2013 at 04:55 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sligg View Post
    I spoke to my Mum last night and asked about it as I know zilch when it comes to child care... Standard practice here is to use cooled boiled water rather than bottled as far as I could tell. I'll nip over at some point and test my friends water, just to be sure. Can't really be too careful there..
    Same here but let's face it, tap water is usually pretty good in most parts of Europe.

According to Anglian water the level of nitrate in the water here is 28.3 on average, highest reading was 34. If those are the levels when it leaves the place then it's no surprise in this farm-oriented area that we're getting such spikes.

Eek! I've never been more sceptical of tap water since I've started fish keeping.
    Inconvenient truth. I've got half a dozen more that I won't share with you.

Time for that RO system? :D

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Time for that RO system? :D
    It might well be as it turns out I can rent one. 150 installation but the monthly payments are about the same as replacing the nitrate filter cartridge every month.

As far as the "re-minerilisation" process goes what products am I looking at using. are there any that work particularly better than others? It's a minefield of different products - each claiming to do something that none of the others do.

Am I fine to just mix with tap water? That won't eliminate my nitrate problem but might push it down to controllable levels with some of the media that Lady Hobbs recommended?

Suppose it depends purely on the cost of remineralising compared to the cost of dealing with remaining nitrates/pollutants in the mixed tap water.

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrants and some other pollutants are not bad in themselves in a planted tank, at least not in reasonable amounts.

Quite a few people mix tap water/ro water. This one gets good press over here: http://www.jbl.de/en/aquatics-freshw...03/jbl-aquadur

Another forum I frequent has a good sticky on the subject and that deals with products easily available in your country: http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co...ad.php?t=92405

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I read that sticky this morning. It was what prompted me to have another look over RO systems and thus discovering the rental road!

10 or so per box... for the amount it treats it's hardly a lot to ask. If it clears up my nitrate problem and all this besides then why not. If I'm going to be paying out a monthly fee, it'd make sense to just go the whole hog and convert to RO rather then paying the same amount and just removing nitrate.

Advice is so much appreciated. I'll make the swap over next month hopefully.

0 Not allowed!
    If you report back in another month or two would probably be interesting to a lot of folks here.