· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    2 -20 gallon sponge filters? Those may work on a 10 gallon breeding tank or a fry tank but sure will not do anything to filter an Oscar tank. You need something that will move the debris around on the bottom of the tank so the filters can pick it up. A sponge filter is the barest in filtration you can get.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree about the sponge filters. I use them on my fry tanks and have one rated for 80 gallons on a 30 breeder(I believe your tank is 4 inches taller but could be wrong). However, I back that up with an Eheim 2211 which is rated at 40 gallons and 30% water changes 3x weekly. They are a good way of building up your BB and are very beneficial when tiny newborn fry are concerned. There is essentially no such thing as GPH with sponge filters. They are more about surface area. I would never filter a "display" tank with strictly a sponge filter but would highly recommend one as a second or third filter on a larger tank, just for that added BB. Comes in handy if one of your filters goes out or something of that nature. My advice to you would be to run down to the LFS and check if they have a larger sponge you could swap out on one of your sponge filters and just have 1 large one in the corner. 2 small ones just seem like they would take up space.
    Coastie-to-be... hopefully.

3. Default Too Much Filtration?

0 Not allowed!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391478799.955258.jpg
    I just added another filter to my old grow out tank. My wife fell in love with oscars so we started her an oscar tank. I like the recirculating design so it cuts the flow but not the GPH and the bio media is in a mesh bag so when the sponge gets clogged or the carbon needs replaced the BB does not all get thrown out like some all-in-one cartridge filters. The water in her 55gal stays crystal clear and low watt pump can run off a small inverter in case of power failure.
    Using Tapatalk