· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Too Much Filtration?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey there!

I'm new to fish keeping and in my research of aquarium hobbiest/forums, I've heard that an O needs a lot of filtration. I have a question about that, I have my O in a 40 Breeder (36x18x12), which i heard/read is fine (I'm willing to use it as a grow out tank.), I have 2 20 gallon sponge fillters, a canister filter (Sun Sun HW 302) and a 10 gal sump. Is that too much filtration? Thank you so much for your help.

- John

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can't really over filter a tank. You can however have too much flow.

If everyone is OK with the amount of flow in the tank, you're absolutely fine.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    not sure what the sun sun turnover rate is and "rated capacity is"
    but if you add up all the filters and combine-then 1/2 everything. ideally you'll be at 10xgph of tank size, and 1x "rated gallons"
    ex: all my filters added up: 210gallons and like 900gph, so really they are running at 110gallons/450gph on my 45gallon, so im properly filtered

a 40b can support 1 O for a grow out tank....but in a very short amount of time.
    if you give him proper space, he'll get to 8 inches in about 6 months, so i hope you have a 75 + gallon waiting.

0 Not allowed!
    mizz is right on. That Oscar should have a 75 in a short time. They require good filtering because they are big fish with a lot of waste.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you so much for all the help!
    The Sun Sun has a 264gph and my sump has a 140gph (small pump) and, here is my next question, how would i be able to calculate the gph of my 2 20gal sponge filters? I'm using a 75-150 gal air pump on them. Once again thank you so much for the help. AND I'm getting a great deal on a 125 gal tank! So hopefully soon!

-John

0 Not allowed!
    a 40b can support 1 O for a grow out tank....but in a very short amount of time.
    if you give him proper space, he'll get to 8 inches in about 6 months, so i hope you have a 75 + gallon waiting.
    IME - This is dead on accurate .

+ 1 about needing a bigger tank soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jhstokes111 View Post
    here is my next question, how would i be able to calculate the gph of my 2 20gal sponge filters?
    Personally, I wouldn't bother adding them to the equation. Just consider them to be bonus additional Bio-media since that is effectively how they function.

You still require adequate filtration.

Last edited by Goes to 11!; 04-27-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks man! Appreciate the input!

When you said I still require adequate filtration, what do you suggest I do?

Thanks again!

0 Not allowed!
    YVW

I think you are good for the moment [I know next to nothing about the sun sun though Google tells me it's for 75g which makes it about right for your current tank]

Having said that along with the upcoming tank upgrade You will need bigger filtration. Personally I am an EHEIM fan and if I were going to have an O in a 75 I would have an AC 110 and an EHEIM 2217 But I am a fan of over-filtration.

IE: MY bigger Oscar [11"] lives by himself in a 100g tank and I have an AC110, EHEIM 2217 & an EHEIM 2028 on it.

You need not go that far but as mentioned Os are BIG wide bodied MESSY fish that produce a lot of waste so it's important to have filtration that can handle it.

Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    *light bulb* That makes sense! Yeah i've heard a lot of good things about EHEIM! And like you, I'm a fan of over-filtration! Thank you once again. It helps to have ppl who know what they're talking about. :)

- John

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Someone said "you can't over-filter a tank". And I agree. Also agree with the flow statement. Not all fish like the water swishing and swashing around. Stresses them out and that can lead to lowered immunity, and disease.

I have an Oscar (Tigger the Badass), and he's in a 150 with several other fish. I also have a 75, and would feel comfortable putting him in there. Going much smaller I'd feel horrible for him. They like their space. Mine actually likes having a tank mate that follows him. Kessie, our Flowerhorn, follows him around (well, until recently) and he gets an ego boost from it. When she decides she's gonna hide off somewhere, he gets really upset and tries moving her out of her spot to follow him around. Gangster. Heh.

Overall, a very social fish. He's pretty docile, despite some of the things I've heard. Only fights with Kessie when they decide they're angry at eachother for whatever reason. I generally just let them resolve their issue with some mouth-grabbing and tussling. As far as the other fish go, he's perfectly passive with them (they're all much smaller than him).

Oh, and his size is roughly 8 inches. I've seen a few a little larger than him before, but that's what you should expect. He's about a year and a half old, now.

Also, don't feed him too many feeder fish. I was told by our local aquarium that Oscars can get Hole in the Head if they eat too many live fish. I don't know the extent of the truth of that, but I've stuck to it more out of caution.
    Last edited by danielscutt; 05-01-2013 at 05:01 AM.