· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Baby britslenose pleco impulse buy; when can you sex them?

0 Not allowed!
    Like the title says I picked a healthy little 1.5inch one; they get a little larger than some other species I was planning to get but for $2 I figured why not; I could always return him if his size was an issue in my 29g or I wanted a different species worst off.

At the LFS they had squash for them to eat and didn't feed them anything else but mine seems to ignore it; I'd imagine all the algae and left over food from my other fish sustains him. It's not like he needs a lot of food at his size.

He def. has an attitude putting up all his fins and displaying at my corys it's funny to watch I also find him much more active than my regular or other bristlenose plecos I had (most of which were bigger and with cichlids though). I figure I got a 50% chance on a male when do they show those crazy looking growths? around 4 inches? my other BN was about 4.5'' and was a female I assumed for the lack of these.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a rescued Siamese fighting fish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.

0 Not allowed!
    At a guess you would start to get an indication at around 8-9 months from this point.

Bristles and female ancistrus are not mutually exclusive, so, its not 100% certainty. You are ultimately looking for bristles that have split ends and go up the nose line for males.

Christian
    Mucky

Unusually I have nothing more to add...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGuy67 View Post

At the LFS they had squash for them to eat and didn't feed them anything else but mine seems to ignore it; I'd imagine all the algae and left over food from my other fish sustains him. It's not like he needs a lot of food at his size.
    Wrong and wrong again. A growing bristlenose needs a good diet that's about 90% vegetable and/or algae. Leftover fish food, certainly when it's still growing should a snack only.
    These fish do take a few days to adapt to new surroundings and start eating well again

He def. has an attitude putting up all his fins and displaying at my corys it's funny to watch I also find him much more active than my regular or other bristlenose plecos I had (most of which were bigger and with cichlids though). I figure I got a 50% chance on a male when do they show those crazy looking growths? around 4 inches? my other BN was about 4.5'' and was a female I assumed for the lack of these.
    Displaying at cories is normal, after all they find food in the same part of the tank.

Bristles tend to seriously show at about 8-10 months. Size for that age depends on which of the 90 species of bristlenose you got. With a lot of species females bristle as well but only on the lip and not on the rest of the head.

0 Not allowed!
    His space is new to him so I'd just keep giving him the squash and cucumbers. He will find it eventually. Don't blanch the veggies and it will be good in the tank longer. Mine will eat a big, thick slice of cucumber overnight.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My other normal plecos and female BN I had loved squash slices. I can visibly see the algae he has eaten off my driftwood. When I put spirulina in there the corys eat it all (even if I do it at night) and he ignored my squash for 2 days so I took it out. I'll put some back in and see if he takes an interest. He seems content to mow down the massive green algae buildup I have atm. Like I said before I always had cichlids so I had to get larger fish so I never had a baby pleco before.

I know what you mean about them having big appetites my normal plecos would eat entire slices in a night. But with the squash it's like the old saying about leading a horse to water but I'll try it again; after all it was all he was eating at the LFS for almost a month they said.

Also I think he might have been wrongly IDed at the pet shop he has white edged fins on his I guess it would dorsal and tail fin like the silver tipped BN juvi. pics I looked at he actually resembles them more than the normal baby BN pics. Not sure if anyone has seen both at a young age on here but he really seems closer to a silver tipped.

I'll see if I can get a decent pic of him for you guys to ID.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 04-29-2013 at 10:56 PM.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a rescued Siamese fighting fish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    remember that different pleco varieties need a stable diet of wood as well. Its one of the few fish that use wood as a source of food. Roughage from other greens are ok but make sure there is an option for the fish. Chola wood is a good type for pleco's.

The bristles appear as prev stated, between 6 and 9mo.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He's got a lot of diff. types of driftwood to munch on. Here's the best pic I could get of him using my phone you can see the white edging on his fins best I could manage until I pic myself up a digi cam (using a diff upload service so hopefully it works).

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/0qyhSyMOro/

What do you guys think? Silver tipped BN? the tailfin is also a solid white edge he was just moving it in the pic so it looks broken up. Also it may not look like it in the picture but he does also have white dots all over his body.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 04-29-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Awards Showcase

Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 thanks for the tip on the ammonia alert.  it's great for cycling with fish. - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Feed him/her broccoli - mine are goofy for broccoli.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Wild Caught BNP
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Harlequin Rasboras
    Future 40 Long - Rummynose Tetras and Cories

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From above if you view a male it is more of a vee or wedge shape and a female a bowling pin. Females tend to be smaller. Males generally will seek out defend and occupy a cave while females tend to not defend such turf, they visit but don't make a claim. On the top of the head of some varieties you will notice a diamond shaped red area on the head between the eyes. The mouth shape determines diet. A flat wide mouth with raspers for rubbing off algae is a veggie eater. A mouth that is not as flat and sort of pointed may be an omnivore. There are several types which enjoy mostly small aquatic animals for feed. Planet catfish has a lot of info on these guys.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I was scouring it for an idea of what else it could be and found this guy http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...species_id=221 he looks similar to the baby plecos they show for them but I might just have a different color than your average BN. Some good advice but I think at such a small size even a pro would have trouble sexing them yet.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 04-30-2013 at 12:32 AM.