· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New Tank Level Base - How Flat does Flat Have to Be?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi I am new to this forum! It has been such a long time since i last had a tropical fish tank (or any at all).....

I'm setting up a new tank, its 3 foot long, not very tall (15 inches) by about 13.5 inches front to back, and not very thick glass (3/16" or 5mm). The tank has no frame, its just all siliconed together , glass on glass.

The base I want to put it on is slightly curved (not flat) with a slight hollow in the middle. There is a dip in the centre of the base, looking from the front, that curves from nothing at the side edges, to a maximum of 1/16" (1.5mm) right in the middle of the tank. There is a very slight dip in the other plane (the front to back plane) , looking from the side lower edges of the tank the gap is a maximum of between 1/64" and 1/32" right in the middle of the sides. So the tank when placed right onto the wood is sitting mostly on the outer corners, with the very middle the least supported. As far as I can tell the curvature of the base is perfectly uniform (so there is no twisting forces at all, just what you might call in photoshop "pincushion distortion".) I have read that the tank only needs support around the edges and not in the middle. But mine would have more weight on the corners and less in the middle.

Those measurements are with the tank placed directly onto the wood base.

Note that my base has no lips around the edges, so i can see and measure the gaps easily. (Its really a wall unit, solid wood, extremely strong and stable, two or 3 people could all stand on it no problem at all). If there were lips to hide the bottom of the tank (like most dedicated fish tank bases), the non-flatness and gaps would be so small you might not even notice they were there at all.

I was planning to buy a think dense closed cell foam mat to place the tank on, of say 1/2" thick uncompressed thickness, from a rubber outlet. Which i was hoping would take up the up to 1/16" of slack space in the middle of the lower outer edges of the tank.

Do you think that would be enough padding for the tank to cope?

0 Not allowed!
    With a tank like this you need an even base to distribute weight. If you don';t have that it will crack.

Depending on the exact material your solution should work. Back in the day we used inch thick styrofoam sheets under tanks like these.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, i was thinking it would probably work if the mat was thick enough and dense enough. I read some threads on google about mats, people seemed to think the closed cell foam was the best choice. Im not exactly sure what that is but im thinking of the kind of stuff they make those interlocking gym mats like you would use for martial arts . ive seen them in two sizes about 1/2" and about 1".

I wonder if i would need a whole inch thick for a 3 foot tank? its not that long really or tall and only 1/16" of slack to take up

0 Not allowed!
    Probably you wouldn't need a whole inch but, back in the 1980s, there was little else available. 1/16 inch is not even 2 millimetre. Some dense foam should be able to handle that without issues.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank looks great , thats something like the look i want. I like wood and rocks and lots of plants in there...

0 Not allowed!
    Go to a hardware store, and see if you can get a few decoupling mats. People use them to put under wood/laminate/vinyl flooring to make up for any gaps, and to provide a barrier between the floor and sub floor. They are relatively thin, but two or three layers, depending on the thickness, should get the job done. It is also dirt cheap.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can pay the rent.