· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Is this a proper water change

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

Everytime i do a water change, i do about 50% every other week, the water clouds up really bad a few hours later and remains cloudy for about 12 hours. I am growing out 4 peacock bass in my 120 gallon tank, then moving them to a 265 gallon tank in about 6 months it looks like. Anyway, here is what i do. I unplug everything, then syphon about 50 or 60 gallons out. Then i put stress coat dechlorinator in the water (enough to treat the whole 120 gallons). After that i attach the hose to the sink and start putting water back into the tank. When its all filled up, i plug everything back in and its done. ABout 2 hours later the tank gets all cloudy and the water smells horrible. I can't figure it out. Any advice would be helpful. By the way, i have had tropical fish in this tank for about a year and it was perfectly cycled. I had just community fish and i would say the tank was about half full of fish ( about 50 total fish, all small). About 3 weeks ago i took all the tropical fish out, and put 4 peacock bass in there ( all in the same day). So the tank should still well cycled, but i am detecting .25PPM ammonia most of the time, so i do small but more frequent water changes in between the big water changes. My little peacocks are eating very well and don't seem effected by all the commotion.

If anyone could help out that would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Blake

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Try a different water conditioner like Seachem prime or Kordon amquel plus. The stress coat maybe reacting to something in your tap water, causing the cloudiness to appear.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 04-25-2013 at 07:34 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

What are your current nitrate levels ? You can also gauge how effective your water changes are by the level of nitrates.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    +1

I once tried going the cheap route and bought some generic dechlorinator and it would make my water cloudy for a day. needless to say, I switched back to the good stuff immediately.
    Thar she blows!!!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrates are between 5 and 10.

0 Not allowed!
    How are you refilling the tank? Does the hose swill the bottom or blow water into the tank too hard? In my experience, cloudiness is normally caused by sloppily pouring water back in and stirring everything up. Always refill the tank gently if possible. Hold a plate at the surface under the hose nozzle when refilling or try to slow the flow with your hand.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    In addition to filling the tank up slowly, how often are you vacuuming your substrate? Is it possible there's a ton of crud underneath that the new water is kicking up? When I do a water change and there's lot of stuff floating around, I figure I didn't get my siphon down deep enough in the gravel or get to enough areas. Just an idea.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I fill it up very slowly. Usually takes about 15 minutes to siphon water out and about 25 to put it back in. Its a very bizarre thing going on. I have had tanks for 20 years and never had this happen. I think it may have something to do with removing the tropical fish and putting the bass in there, but i cant think of what exactly. Also, the ammonia has been hard to keep under control. Before i had the bass, the tank went about a year without an ammonia reading ( i check weekly at minimum.) Now, i am getting ammonia readings all the time. Very wierd. Bass are ok though, i change the water when its gets around .25

0 Not allowed!
    5 to 10 ppm of nitrate is pretty good and sounds like you are chaning enough water.

How do you test the ammonia ? What type of test kit are you using and have you had a LFS double check your results ?

The reason why I ask is that sometimes, it can be hard to tell the difference between 0.25 and 0 ppm of ammonia on some test kits.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]